MCU for PSoC4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

What MCU can be used to program PSoC4 chips (4200 L series) ? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I question if it is possible measuring distances using capsense. Capsense was made to detect human body pressing a switch or approaching a sensor wire. Quite more than a 2mm distance measure of a pad. Enter "capsense layout" into the keyword search field at top of this page and read...

btw: It is always advisable to use a prototype kit at first. There is a programmer / debugger interface attached and you will easily see results. When your prototype runs you may think about making your own pcb.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The answer must be "Any MCU can program a PSoC" 😉

Probably you'd like to know what kind of Programmer you need. There are two choices:

Use a Miniprog3 which is the cleanest solution. no self-made hacks, it works out-of-the-box for every PSoC.

Use a Kitprog which is a snap-off part of all the prototype kits that allow for debugging as the CY8CKIT-043.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello bob,

I am trying to build a proximity sensor using the PSoC4 MCU IC. I would like to build it using the IC instead of the prototyping kit (preferably) given my design conditions - refer to the attached image.

http://i.imgur.com/qB4a2bl.jpg

I need to measure the distance between the surfaces A and B through proximity sensing. I will build the proximity sensor on one of the surfaces and connect it to the PSoC device.

My concern is how do I interface it with other periferals such as the computer ? what other parts do i require with the IC to complete the board? how do I program the PSoC to get the real time proximity distance/changes in it?

P.S. :- I am a novice in embedded and hardware design. If I am wrong in certain case please let me know.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I question if it is possible measuring distances using capsense. Capsense was made to detect human body pressing a switch or approaching a sensor wire. Quite more than a 2mm distance measure of a pad. Enter "capsense layout" into the keyword search field at top of this page and read...

btw: It is always advisable to use a prototype kit at first. There is a programmer / debugger interface attached and you will easily see results. When your prototype runs you may think about making your own pcb.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob.That was helpful. But, is capsense only designed to detect human skin? Can it work against plastic as well?

My constraints were such that I had to design a pcb and connect to the sensor pad on the plastic surface. But I will try the prototyping kit first then. 
But in that scenario can I have copper pad/trace on the surface and connect it to the i/o of the kit? Will that work ? or is the sensor pad only on kit itself?

Thanks 
Aman

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

On a prototyping kit as the CY8CKIT-043 PSoC M Prototyping Kit are no copper traces for capsense. So you are free to design your own buttons. I used some conductive ink on overhead foil. Worked!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey bob, thanks again. I will connect the pin to a copper tape over the plastic gripper.

Another question - I believe that I can get analog values through the kit, but what will be the resolution of measurement? or what is the minimum 'displacement change' i can measure and what are the min. and maximum distances I can obtain from this system?

Regards,
Aman

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Best is to install the kit software (Creator 4.1) first and go through the components for your selected chip. Every component has got a datasheet which describes its function, APIs and -when appropriate- AC and DC characteristics.

Bob

0 Likes