ISSP to update firmware on CYBLE-012011 using another non-cypress micro-controller connected via UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DhDa_2432241
Level 5
Level 5
5 likes given First like received First like given

Linked post: http://www.cypress.com/forum/proc-ble/updating-application-firmware-ez-ble-012011-over-uart-another-...

Hello,

I was able to update the firmware on EZ-BLE 012011 evaluation board via UART following this document. However, I used the windows GUI provided with the application note. Section 2.5 of the mentioned application note, tells how to use an embedded host for bootloading. But it's only applicable for cypress devices. 

What is the procedure for non-cypress micro-controllers say arduino? Also the windows GUI takes .cyacd file which is being converted to hex format and is stored in StringImage.h. The documentation says that the bootloading process is built on 4 files:

1. communication_api.c/h
2. cybtldr_command.c/h
3. cybtldr_parse.c/h
4. cybtldr_utils.h

How do I use/port the files in UART_Bootloader_Host.cydsn folder into a non-cypress micro-controller project to update the EZ-BLE 012011 firmware over UART?

Any documentation/projects would help. 

Thank you
Dheeraj

0 Likes
1 Solution

I figured this out anyways. I had to change the UART implementation. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Application Note specifically says that it is written to work with a UART connection, hence if you setup a valid UART connection between your host and cypress chip then it should be the same procedure. The HEX file itself that you upload onto the bootload cypress chip will have to be formatted the same way as the PSoC Creator IDE outputs it. Most C code is pretty easy to port to other devices, but the procedure for running it on another device will depend on the device itself. Without telling us: what "non-cypress" chip you are using, you would have to look up how to run the code for the bootloader on that host yourself.

0 Likes

I figured this out anyways. I had to change the UART implementation. Thank you. 

0 Likes