How to observe communication messages without connecting?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSoC 4 BLE has an oberver mode that can scan for the nearby advertising devices continuously and show the advertising report and scan response data of the advertising devices. Is it possible to configure the PSoC 4 BLE to observe the communication messages between another two connected devices? For example, my phone is connected with a heartrate monitor device, will I be able to program my PSoC 4 BLE to get the information across these two devices without connecting to them?

Many thanks in advanced for your input. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Most probably not. I think such functions is reserved to special equipment

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Google "bluetooth hack", there are a number of hits doing that.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Theoretically, the information is in the air we should be able to capture it. 

I looked for bluetooth hacker playstore, most of the software are pranks, they only get the advertisement packets and don't actually get the information. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the observer role, the device only scans the advertisement channels (I think this would be fixed in some of the hardware and configurable in some others.. have to check with cypress what type of observer mode they support)..

The other challenge is, to sniff the packets, you must process the connection request and channel hop as per the connection request at master configured connection interval (as if you are a peripheral), but can't transmit anything after you receive the packet from the master (unlike a Peripheral). This again needs to be supported by the hardware I guess.

0 Likes