Frequent "arm-non-eabi-gdb.exe has stopped working" during debug.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DWOBSER73
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted First reply posted

I am getting frequent debugger crashes, while debugging my PSoC creator project. I am using a MiniProg4 programmer.

DWOBSER73_0-1619647179936.png

Environment:
PSoC Creator 4.4 (4.4.0.80)
Culture: English (United States)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
CLR Version: 4.0.30319.42000

MiniProg4 Firmware:
MiniProg4. CMSIS-DAP Version 2.0.0. Firmware Version 2.10.878. Hardware Id 05.

This is happening frequently, whether I'm stepping-through code, or just hitting breakpoints. 
Let me know what other information I can provide that would be useful in solving this

0 Likes
10 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @DWOBSER73

Thank you for providing the PSoC Creator version and MP4 firmware versions. This helps when we are trying to recreate the issue. 

Can you please let me know if this issue is project-dependent? You can try working with a code example to see if you observe the same issue.

Can you try disabling any antivirus or firewalls running in parallel? The GDB could have been blocked due to this.

Also, please try running the debugger without any breakpoints and let me know if this works smoothly. There have been issues where GDB sometimes becomes unstable when breakpoints are added. 

Are you using any low power APIs in your project?

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hello Rakshith.

Support for Win XP stopped at Creator 4.0, about the same age as Win NT 6.1.
Win NT 6.1 is 10 years old.  Does Creator 4.4 support an OS that old?

0 Likes

Win NT 6.1 is Windows 7, not XP.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

0 Likes

Hi.

I agree.
I was only pointing out that NT 6.1 is ten years old (and the wiki reference verified this).  You might consider upgrading the PC OS at some point.  Even Win 7 is no longer supported by MS.  But hey..., if it's working for you, no need to change.

0 Likes
DWOBSER73
Level 1
Level 1

It does seem to be project-dependent. It's a problem that I've notice in the past, that only happened in certain, isolated code files of my project, but now it's happening very frequently, anywhere in the project. Maybe  it's something to do with the size of the code?

It doesn't crash until a breakpoint is hit, or when doing stepping (line by line).  If I just start debug running with no stops, I have not seen it crash.

I am not using any low-power features.

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @DWOBSER73

GDB might crash if it tries to access code that does not exist or if there is invalid memory access. As the issue is project-specific, can you please let me know if it would be possible to share the project? Can you also let us know how many breakpoints have been enabled? Please try disabling all breakpoints, run the debugger and add a breakpoint in the loop. 

@BiBi_1928986, Thank you for pointing it out. PSoC Creator should be supported in Windows 7. But I will check if there were similar issues reported on the older versions of Windows.

Rakshith_0-1619774435121.png

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
DWOBSER73
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I usually remove all breakpoints, add just one breakpoint, then single-step from there. I do not believe there is any invalid memory access, but is there some way that I can verify that? (I assume you mean invalid memory access by the debugger?)

I could share my project, but it won't actually run without the specialized hardware it's written for. Would it still be helpful anyways?

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @DWOBSER73

Unfortunately, I am not able to recreate the issue. I checked with the internal team and they could not pinpoint the root cause of this issue. Can you please let me know if there is a message in the output console about the call to gdb that is crashing?

I could share my project, but it won't actually run without the specialized hardware it's written for. Would it still be helpful anyways?

Yes, please share the project. I will try to use the same or a similar target device to try and recreate the issue. 

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
DWOBSER73
Level 1
Level 1

There is no messages on the output console when gdb crashes.  Also, new information - the crashing can happen with just a single breakpoint - I don't need to step-through for gdb to crash.

I'll share the project - how do I get it to you?

0 Likes
DWOBSER73
Level 1
Level 1

As a test, I just tried switching to a MiniProg3 to see if there was any difference, and it still crashed gdb. I captured some additional information (in case it's helpful in any way):

DWOBSER73_0-1620671364185.png

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 576adc93
Fault Module Name: arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 576adc93
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0009a800
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1