EZ-BLE 022001 not working unless mounted to debug board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the CYALKIT 02. I have tried flashing the kit with the eddystone project # 50.

The device is now broadcasting the cypres.com URL, but ONLY while the beacon is still attached to the debug board.

When it is not attached to the debug board it no longer broadcasts the URL.

I have a program on my phone called "beacon monitor" that shows the device is sending SOMETHING about 1 time an hour or even less than that. however it is not showing the cypress.com URL like it does when attached, but it looks like an unnamed beacon with some random packet info, if that makes sense.

I have tried re-flashing with PSoC 4 set to "release".

I have tried attaching a 3.3 volt coin cell to the battery terminals on the beacon. Nothing so far has worked.

I see that this device uses 022001 which is the EZ-BLE I think. But I notice most people here are discussing the pioneer kit or an evaluation board. So I am having a hard time figuring out how most comments relate to my situation. Am I posting in the right place?

I really want to get this working if it is even possible.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Since it is stated in query, "The device is now broadcasting the cypres.com URL, but ONLY while the beacon is still attached to the debug board. When it is not attached to the debug board it no longer broadcasts the URL".

From the above statement, I understood that the program is working fine. When the BLE Beacon is connected to debug board, the VDD supply is powered continuously. But when the BLE Beacon is removed, based on the intensity of light, the BLE is powered. So there is no enough light intensity to power the BLE device, or BLE firmware might be consuming lot of power which PMIC can't drive. In order to debug this further, could you please try the following steps:

a) Kindly download the complete setup, available in the below link:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyalkit-e02-solar-powered-ble-sensor-bea...

Once it is installed, please go to the Firmware-> BLE-> Solar BLE sensor, once the project is opened, please program the BLE beacon with this project and check if BLE beacon is working alone. This helps to identify, if there are any problems in solar panel or PMIC connection to BLE device. If it is working fine, it is assured that BLE beacon is working fine.

b) I have attached the simple Eddystone firmware here which is optimized to consume very less power and designed for this beacon. Kindly use this firmware which is attached here, and please check if it is working fine. Please use this firmware since there are issues with eddystone firmware available in the set up file.

If all the above steps are working fine, it is confirmed that the project #50 is designed not for low power optimization and cannot be used for this kit unless it is optimized. If the step (b) is not working, we recommend the customer to measure the VBAT voltage waveform using CRO and attach it here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

I have open a case for your issue as I don't have your kit so I can't check it operation.  I should get an answer in a few day. I'll let you know what they say.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Since it is stated in query, "The device is now broadcasting the cypres.com URL, but ONLY while the beacon is still attached to the debug board. When it is not attached to the debug board it no longer broadcasts the URL".

From the above statement, I understood that the program is working fine. When the BLE Beacon is connected to debug board, the VDD supply is powered continuously. But when the BLE Beacon is removed, based on the intensity of light, the BLE is powered. So there is no enough light intensity to power the BLE device, or BLE firmware might be consuming lot of power which PMIC can't drive. In order to debug this further, could you please try the following steps:

a) Kindly download the complete setup, available in the below link:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyalkit-e02-solar-powered-ble-sensor-bea...

Once it is installed, please go to the Firmware-> BLE-> Solar BLE sensor, once the project is opened, please program the BLE beacon with this project and check if BLE beacon is working alone. This helps to identify, if there are any problems in solar panel or PMIC connection to BLE device. If it is working fine, it is assured that BLE beacon is working fine.

b) I have attached the simple Eddystone firmware here which is optimized to consume very less power and designed for this beacon. Kindly use this firmware which is attached here, and please check if it is working fine. Please use this firmware since there are issues with eddystone firmware available in the set up file.

If all the above steps are working fine, it is confirmed that the project #50 is designed not for low power optimization and cannot be used for this kit unless it is optimized. If the step (b) is not working, we recommend the customer to measure the VBAT voltage waveform using CRO and attach it here.

0 Likes