Dongle Firmware Version

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am using CySmart version 1.0 (from the Dec 31 download).

I am connecting to a BLE dongle from the  CY8CKIT.

CySmart refuses to connect to the dongle, and instead say it needs to be updated with the firmware from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\1.0\Firmware\BLE Dongle\Hex Files\BLE_Dongle_CySmart.hex

I have used the PSoC Programmer version  3.22.0  and reprogrammed the dongle with this hex file.

I have also downloaded the Dec 31 hex file version  1.0.0.50  from here  and programmed that hex.

http://www.cypress.com/?rid=102636&source=CySmart

Niether of these hex files have changed CySmart's mind, it still says the current firmware is not supported.

Can someone please confirm that the latest version of CySmart is valid, and the dongle hex file is valid?

I can find no other options for making this work. 

Thank you

Neal

0 Likes
15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you updated the FW on the BLE part via the Update Firmware button the Utilities tab?  

There are two parts on the dongle and each may require a FW update.  The PSoC 5LP USB bridge is updated by programming the hex file as you described.  The BLE part is udpate by connected to the dongle in PSoC Programmer, going to the Utilities tab and selecting Udpate Firmware.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If you face any issues, with CySmart in recognizing the dongle, please do the following steps:

a)      Upgrade the KitProg (PSoC 5LP) firmware in the dongle. (Please check Page 39 of:  

http://www.cypress.com/?docID=51311)

b)      Now Program the latest BLE Dongle CySmart hex to the PRoC device (available for download from :

http://www.cypress.com/?rid=102636)

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. Dana's explanation above solved it for me. Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem, but Dana's steps solved it. Thanks Dana for the direct & simple steps. However, it didn't work from the first time, so i did the following:

1- From Control pannel>Device manager, i disabled any device that is using the COM port to illiminate conflict posibilities

2- Restart your PC

3- Apply Dana's steps

it should work now

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried all the suggestions here, however, I have not had any luck getting past this problem.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

Updating the CySmart dongle is a 2-step process

1. Step #1 is to update the KitProg firmware on the dongle (the programmer firmware).
You can do this by opening the latest version of PSoC Programmer, and then under the Utilities tab you will find a button to update firmware.

2. Step#2 is to update the firmware of the PRoC BLE device on the dongle.
You can do this by loading the required HEX file in PSoC Programmer, then hitting the Program button to update the PRoC BLE device on the dongle.

Please ensure you have the latest kit files from the website: www.cypress.com/cy8ckit-042-ble

hope that helps!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another engineer and I both had issues with the dongle that came in each of our kits as well.  I wrote up some instructions with screenshots that could help fix the issue, you can find them at https://www.eewiki.net/display/Wireless/Fixing+Connection+Issues+between+the+Cypress+CySmart+Softwar....

I hope the link helps, best of luck.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I couldn't find the BLE_Dongle_Cysmart workspace!. I re-installed the full versions of Creator, Programmer & Cysmart and still doens't work It's very frustrating that there is no good support, links or updated documentation provided by Cypress.

M

0 Likes

Hello,

The CySmart Dongle project is available in the installation folder of CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit at the below location.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\1.0\Firmware\BLE Dongle

Install the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit from here -- http://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-042-ble-bluetooth-low-energy-42-...

-Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gyan,

Thanks for trying but a big part of the frustration is not getting enough information or detail:

Your link only takes me to the general page of CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A where you can find a bunch of links. Now which one to download?

I tried first:

PSoC® Creator™PSoC Creator is an Integrated Design Environment (IDE) which allows concurrent hardware and application firmware design of PSoC 3, PSoC 4 and PSoC 5LP systems.

Then I just tried:

Download CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Kit Setup (Kit Design Files, PSoC Creator, PSoC Programmer, Documentation...    English  569.68 MB  06/18/2018 

And as I mentioned before, I do the full complete install and I don't get that folder. I got to C:\Program Files\Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Kit\1.0\Firmware and I only see 2 folders: "Programmer" and "PSoC 4 BLE". and 1 more read me file.

So which link to download? please be more specific.

Mario

0 Likes

Hello Mario,

Did you try with   " Download the Files without using Download Manager' option after clicking on Download CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A Kit Setup (Kit Design Files, PSoC Creator, PSoC Programmer, Documentation...    ?

-Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gyan,

Of course I spend all morning removing and re-installing the software, both ways, using the installer manager and without and still got the same annoying results, no BLE Dongle CySmart folder.

Have you tried yourself with this actual links to verify this is true? or are you just giving the standard protocol answers that might be outdated?

Is there a way I can find this folder by itself for download? If it works on your side for whatever reason please just look for a way so you can send me that folder. Like I mentioned it's frustrating and makes me loose a lot of confidence in Cypress if something so critical such as getting the platform running right away can't be achieved with so much headaches and waste of time.

Mario

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Pratt but this is not what I'm looking for.

alexander.schmitdh post has a link that shows how you can fix this problem using the PSoC creator and a BLE_Dongle_Cysmart worksapce:

Image013 - BLE_Dongle_CySmart Project Files Location.png

According to the post and Gyan there should be a file, as shown on the path, once you install the PSoC creator program. I tried and I don't see that file.

Do you have such file in your system?

Regards,

Mario

0 Likes