Cy8C4246 Emulated EEPROM not compatible

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KimS_967071
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted

I upgraded a project from a PSoC 1 (Cy8C29566) because I needed more flash.  I got started with a Cy8C4245 because I had a development board.  It had the same flash size as the PSoC 1 so I was able to port the C code and then generate the new components in Creator.  Now that the hardware is working I want to switch to the Cy8C4246AZI-M443 to get more flash.  I created a workspace bundle of the Cy8C4245 project (using the complete option) and then extracted the files into a new folder and renamed the project and workspace.  I then generated and built the project but got some errors on a couple of the pins with interrupts (because the dedicated interrupt box wasn't checked anymore) which I was able to fix and I got the following EEPROM error:

Error in component: EEPROM. The Em_EEPROM_v1_20 component (EEPROM) is not compatible with the selected device. Please check the component datasheet for details on updating to a compatible component.

I checked to see if I needed to update the EEPROM and it says version 1_20 is not compatible and the other version to select 1_10 is also not compatible.  I also don't see the emulated EERPOM component available in the system area of the component catalog to add a new one.  The PSoC4200M family datasheet says emulated EEPROM is supported and I don't see anything saying certain devices aren't supported.

I am working with PSoC Creator 4.0 Update 1 (4.0.0.432).  It looks like this is the latest version.

thanks,

Kim

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Kim.

There is no emEeprom component (yet) for the PSoC4-M. See in System Reference Guide (Creator help) for flash write APIs.

Bob

0 Likes

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the answer.  I have been around for quite some time.  I would occasionally post questions at the PSoC developer website when that was active.  You always helped out then too! 

I found the the Sflash example project and was able to get that to run yesterday.  I did run into trouble getting my device to be recognized by the MiniProg3.  I was getting Cortex M0 instead of the actual part number.  I searched around and found some responses about that which suggested power cycling the board and closing creator.  I finally got that to work and then I was having trouble erasing the board.  I found another post indicating that the problem could be due to it being a new part (never programmed) and to try PSoC Programmer instead.  Also I changed the clock speed to 0.8 Mhz for programming.  I finally got it all working yesterday with the Sflash example.  Today I am trying to program the board again and first I got the Cortex M0 device not recognized error so I power cycled the board and closed and reopened Creator and fixed that.  Now I am getting the can't erase flash error 102.  I have tried using Programmer, power cycling the board, closing and reopening Creator and can't seem to clear the error.  I tried disconnecting the USB side the MiniProg and ti didn't help.  My next step is to reboot the computer but I don't think that is going to help, but I will update this post if it does.

My Cy8C4246 is on a TQFP adapter board which brings out all the pins to 2 rows of .100 pitch holes.  I then have a small adapter double sided adapter board connected to it so that I could connect a 5-pin header for programming.  I am using 22 gauge wire and kept the programming signals to 2" or less.  I don't have a pull up on Xres because the hardware design guide said it was internal and not needed.  The only reason I ask is that I was first working with the Cy8CKit-042 board with a Cy8C4245 which according to the schematic has a 4.7K pull-up.  Should I add a pull-up? 

I built it up this way so that I could connect the rest of my existing hardware to test and add a new hardware feature before changing my board to swap the PSoC 1 for the PSoC 4.

The only other thing I can think of is that my MiniProg 3 is rev A.  Could that be causing the problem?

thanks,

Kim

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There have been issues some years ago with the power supply using the Miniprog3, but I never had any problems with that.

I assume that you already updated the miniprog3 firmware using Cypress Programmer 3.25

There is a CY8CKIT-043 which has got a snap-off programmer (5V only) and a PSoC4-M on a pcb. This may probably help you when you find a distributor.

Bob

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Kim,

PSoC 4 devices can be powered by two modes of power supply: unregulated external supply(internal regulated mode) and regulated external supply modes.
1. Internal regulated mode: In this mode, voltage is applied to the VDDX pins, and is not directly applied to the VCCX pins. The internal analog and digital regulators are on, and their outputs drive their respective domains within the device. You should not apply power to the VCCx pins, and do not tie the VDDx pins to the VCCx pins.

2. External regulated mode: In this mode, the VDDD pins should be shorted to the VCCD pins and the VDDA pin should be shorted to the VCCA pin. The allowed supply range in this configuration is 1.71 V to 1.89 V. After power up in this configuration, the internal regulators are on by default, and should be disabled to reduce power consumption.

Could you please make sure that you are following connections specified in section 4.1 of the hardware design considerations manual 

http://www.cypress.com/file/141176/download

If you can share your schematic we can check that too.

Best Regards,
VSRS

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

You can also check our trouble shooting guide in future when a programming issue occurs.

http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/troubleshooting-psoc-345lp-programmingdebugging-issues...

Best Regards,
VSRS

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just like to say that I have in the past used the miniprog3 and experienced such problems. Normally this was solved by making sure the board was correctly externally powered and not by the miniprog3 and also not havin more than another USB device (such as a usb-uart) connected to the same PC.I have recently bought several kit043 and now I only use the break off programming module as this is much more robust than the miniprog3. This can also provide a uart chanel with the addition of 2 wires which is very handy, over the same USB link as used for programming.

Finally I use the internal flash API in all projects and it works very well. 

0 Likes