Can't pair to a phone when update BLE module from 3.30 to 3.40

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DeTo_1826166
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

Hello,

I don't know what is the problem, something linked with the security policy, because when i disable strict pairing it work :

pastedImage_0.png

I tried to debug it with CySmart but pairing works with the key..

Do you have any idea ? I didn't see something related with that in the update list ...

Thanks.

Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

'Strict' Pairing means the devices should perform the selected pairing procedure ( Unauthenticated pairing in this case) and if the peer device ( Mobile Phone) has a different Security level selected, will result in pairing failure.

If you do not check the Strict pairing , both devices will choose and go for the possible pairing process based on the negotiated Security levels and IO capabilities between them.

I could see this issue and this is a bug with BLE v3.30 component (pairing Should not happen with your  selected configuration with Mobile phone). BLE v3.40 and later does not have this issue.

Please  use the latest BLE component version 3.52 for the new designs which has all prior bugs fixed.

-Gyan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

'Strict' Pairing means the devices should perform the selected pairing procedure ( Unauthenticated pairing in this case) and if the peer device ( Mobile Phone) has a different Security level selected, will result in pairing failure.

If you do not check the Strict pairing , both devices will choose and go for the possible pairing process based on the negotiated Security levels and IO capabilities between them.

I could see this issue and this is a bug with BLE v3.30 component (pairing Should not happen with your  selected configuration with Mobile phone). BLE v3.40 and later does not have this issue.

Please  use the latest BLE component version 3.52 for the new designs which has all prior bugs fixed.

-Gyan

0 Likes

Thanks for you answer.

But i had the same policy security with the BLE module v3.30 and there was no connection issue with phones. So i still doesn't see where is the problem.

0 Likes

Hello,

-Gyan

0 Likes

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, we have to pair and bond a mobile phone with the BLE module but we only have one button on the BLE module side.

So what we do is reject connection if the device was not previously bonded or if the "pairing button" is not pressed.

How can we proceed now ?

I don't see the point to use a fixed passkey to do the same thing..

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to use the fixed passkey to authenticate, but you are welcome to.

With just the no IO bonding mode, you can setup the unit to bond to the unit that connects when your button is pressed, and then reject connections at all other times (or if it doesn't match the previously bonded unit).

There are a few threads that go over a similar situation:

PSoC-4-BLE/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day015_Bonding at master · cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE · G...

http://www.cypress.com/blog/100-projects-100-days/project-016-authentication

CY8CKIT-042-BLE: How to setup pairing

How to manually enter pairing mode?

How to limit server to bonding with just one client?

0 Likes

Hello,

This exaclty what i do, but it seems that since v3.30, we can't choose unauthenticated pairing with encryption, and what we want is to have encrypted data after establishing the connection.

0 Likes

Hello,

Do not use 'Strict ' pairing option ( Select as 'No')and you will able to perform the unauthenticated pairing with encryption.

Because we do not know what is the security level selected in your central device , and if it does not match the peripheral device's security level , the pairing will fail.

-Gyan