CYBLE-022001-00 BLE Beacon Apple CID

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shma_1538871
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi All

We are developing BLE beacon based on CYALKIT-E02 Solar-Powered BLE Sensor Beacon Reference Design Kit.

HW is almost same as this kit.

So we would like to use this sample FW for our product.

Our target is not i-beacon.

But BLE Beacon Format of this sample FW includes "Company ID 0x004C(Apple)".

Is it no problem for our product that includes Apple CID in beacon packet?

Kit Guide (Page 66)

http://www.cypress.com/file/280601/download

0 Likes
1 Solution

Three questions

1. Can user use CY sample FW for own mass production model? 

Ans: Yes. They can use.

2. Normally, any user can use Apple CID in their advertise product.

Ans: Yes.

3. If user uses iPhone, iPhone application can not  get the data that does not include Apple CID. Is it correct ?

Ans: No. Only the applications which needs Apple CID in the background while scanning the beacon packets will only report the packets for user view. For example in the App , mentioned in the user guide you can only see the beacon packets if the packets contain Apple CID but any other iOS App might scan and display the packets.

I would suggest to test these features at your side if you have this device with you by assigning different CID values as mentioned in the user guide.

-Gyan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

You can assign any CID. Please note that if you are using iPhone to receive the Beacon packets , you need to select the Apple CID in Beacon packets else iPhone will not receive the Beacon packets.

-Gyan

0 Likes

Hi Gyan

Thank you for your reply!

Let me explain our status again.

Product is not i-Beacon. Advertise broad caster.

If this product does not include Apple CID, is it possible for iphone to receive some data from this product?

And can user assign Apple CID in own product ?

Matsushita

0 Likes

Hello Matsushita,

Let me clear some missing points in my previous response.  The beacon packets can be received by any observer device with any CID but some apps which filters advertisement (beacon) data for some specific CID will not report the packets at application.

The iOS beacon app mentioned in the kit guide will only report the packets if the beacon packets contain Apple CID.

Please let me know if there is any confusion.

-Gyan

0 Likes

Hi Gyan

Thank you for your response.

I understood you mentioned about beacon.

Three questions

3. If user uses iPhone, iPhone application can not  get the data that does not include Apple CID. Is it correct ?

0 Likes

Three questions

Ans: Yes. They can use.

Ans: Yes.

Ans: No. Only the applications which needs Apple CID in the background while scanning the beacon packets will only report the packets for user view. For example in the App , mentioned in the user guide you can only see the beacon packets if the packets contain Apple CID but any other iOS App might scan and display the packets.

I would suggest to test these features at your side if you have this device with you by assigning different CID values as mentioned in the user guide.

-Gyan

0 Likes

Hi Gyan

Thank you very much for your information.

It is very helpful for me to understand CID.

I already tried to confirm other CID.

As a result, iPhone Beacon application did not detect beacon data that is based on other CID.

So I asked this question.

But I have not confirmed other application. i will confirm other CID later

Thank you again

0 Likes