CY8CKIT-149 PSOC 4100S Plus solder mask

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeFLo
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello,

I am implementing a slider design following the "AN85951 PsoC4 and PSoC6 MCU CapSense Design Guide".

On the CYC8CKIT-PSOC149 development kit , buttons and slider are covered by solder mask, copper is coated.  Hower it is not mentioned in "AN85951 PsoC4 and PSoC6 MCU CapSense Design Guide" that copper should be covered by solder mask.  

Is it required to cover copper with solder mask? If so then what is the consequence on the capacity sensor?

Best Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Yes it is basically that, a protection from oxidation. For longevity some form of protection is required, it does not have to be a solder mask, but could also be gold plating, etc.

The influence of a <0.1mm thick solder mask is neglectable compared to typical overlay thickness (~3mm).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
LinglingG_46
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 10 questions asked

Does the solder mask you mentioned in the description is the overlay covered on the sensor?

From your description I don't know what is the  solder mask  you specified. Can you give me a Figure to clarify it.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GeFLo
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

By soldermask I mean the protective layer of liquid photo image able lacquer applied on the top and bottom side of a Printed Circuit Board to protect the copper, apart from the solder pads, from oxyiation.

On the CYC8CKIT-PSOC149 development kit it is colored in red. 

0 Likes
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Yes it is basically that, a protection from oxidation. For longevity some form of protection is required, it does not have to be a solder mask, but could also be gold plating, etc.

The influence of a <0.1mm thick solder mask is neglectable compared to typical overlay thickness (~3mm).

0 Likes