CY8CKIT-044 external power

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
fjt
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 questions asked First solution authored

I have a CY8CKIT-044 and would like to supply external power. It works when I apply power as shown on page 46 of the kit guide but it draws over 100 mA. I have tried applying the 5 volts to the Vin pin and Gnd without success.

What is the proper way to apply external power to this board?

0 Likes
1 Solution

It sounds like 4200M is being held in Reset state when you apply voltage to Vin.  That's wierd.  You can check the Reset signal with volt meter at pcb hole with RESET label.  If it's 0volts, PSoC is being held in reset state by Kitprog.  If it's 3.3V, then PSoC is not running code.  You could press the Reset push button and see if this wakes up PSoC.

I also corrected my previous post wrt Vin connector pin reference.

Good luck with your project.  The PSoC's are great to work with.  I'm not sure why KIT-044 is not behaving well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

Did you remove resistors R63 and R64 as shown on page 46?

0 Likes

I saw the reference to those resistors but I was initially concerned about what pins to apply external power. The guide indicates that Vin is input to a voltage regulator that appears to accept up to 20 volts. I tried increasing Vin to a little above 8 volts without success. I want to be able to still power and program through the USB.

0 Likes

Vin is the external voltage input on Arduino connector pin 1 J1.  It's only rated for 5 to 12 Volts (page 44).  Pin 4 J14 as shown on page 46 is only used with correct voltage range of 3.3-5V.  If you applied 20V, you may have damaged the voltage regulator.  You can test the regulator output for 3.3V at connector J9 pin1 with a volt meter.

Vin and USB 5V are diode OR'd, so an external voltage source or USB port can power KIT-044.

R63 and R64 go to Kitprog 5LP GPIO pins.  So, unless you are trying to measure current down in the uAmp region, you can leave them installed.  They are not related to programming the 4200M FLASH.

Does the board work if powered from USB?

What else do you have connected to KIT-044?

edit: correction to Vin connector reference.

0 Likes

I only put a little over 8 v on Vin and so I don't think it's damaged. The board still works fine powered from USB. The 20 volt number is from the datasheet on the voltage regulator. I added a blinking LED to be able to know if the code was running when powered externally, in addition to the main LED. Power to Vin lights the main LED but the code does not run, and consumes about 80 mA.

Since this board is massive overkill for my need, I am switching to CY8CKIT-147 with a 4100PS and simpler supply issues. Thanks very much for your help.

0 Likes

It sounds like 4200M is being held in Reset state when you apply voltage to Vin.  That's wierd.  You can check the Reset signal with volt meter at pcb hole with RESET label.  If it's 0volts, PSoC is being held in reset state by Kitprog.  If it's 3.3V, then PSoC is not running code.  You could press the Reset push button and see if this wakes up PSoC.

I also corrected my previous post wrt Vin connector pin reference.

Good luck with your project.  The PSoC's are great to work with.  I'm not sure why KIT-044 is not behaving well.

0 Likes