BLE range

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is the range(distance) covered by cypress BLE?

0 Likes
9 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The BLE specs say 30m

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

From the Bluetooth website -

Range

Range is application specific and although a minimum range is mandated by the Core Specification, there is not a limit and manufacturers can tune their implementation to support the use case they are enabling. 

Range may vary depending on class of radio used in an implementation:

• Class 3 radios – have a range of up to 1 meter or 3 feet
  •     
  • Class 2 radios – most commonly found in mobile devices – have a range of 10 meters or 33 feet
  •     
  • Class 1 radios – used primarily in industrial use cases – have a range of 100 meters or 300 feet
  •    

Power

The most commonly used radio is Class 2 and uses 2.5 mW of power. Bluetooth technology is designed to have very low power consumption. This is reinforced in the specification by allowing radios to be powered down when inactive.

The Generic Alternate MAC/PHY in Version 3.0 HS enables the discovery of remote AMPs for high speed devices and turns on the radio only when needed for data transfer giving a power optimization benefit as well as aiding in the security of the radios.

Bluetooth low energy technology, optimized for devices requiring maximum battery life instead of a high data transfer rate, consumes between 1/2 and 1/100 the power of classic Bluetooth technology.

Of course its more appropriately a f( ) of -

1) Tx power

2) Rx sensitivity

3) Antenna characteristics

4) Propagation medium characteristics\

And of course range also inherently has a error free data rate equivalency attached to

a spec. Re operating in an EMI environment.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I understood: to be BLE certified (as the Cypress chips are)  the device has to fulfill the specs that say 30m. What the implementation in your project does may be less (or even more).

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

From the Bluetooth website -

The range of Bluetooth technology is application specific.  The Core Specification mandates a minimum range of 10 meters or 30 feet, but there is no set limit and manufacturers can tune their implementations to provide the range needed to support the use cases for their solutions.

Does Cypress settle on their standard of 30 M ? If so thats 9 X the power for the core spec of 2.5 mW.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

So I am darn wrong by taking meters for feet. I AM METRIC and I get often confused by miles, yards, punds (in GB I got a scale that measured "Stones") and ounces, although I like pints. ;-))

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

thank you for your help.

I just want to know specificaly about cypress chip what is it's range if a reasonable antenna used ?

in our application we need at least 30 Meter range and want to know if the new chips can do the job or not.

if some one tried the kit in real life and can share his/her experience that will be welcomed.

BR,

fayek

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen ranges 30+ m depending on LOS, and interference (metal walls, etc)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have seen 30+ meters range easily within the office environment with CY8CKIT-042 BLE kit with a TX power level of 0dBm (default value).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please note that if the antenna is not omnidirectional, one may see different ranges for different orientation of the board. The CY kits have a somewhat directional antenna, hence range may vary, if the board is tilted/turned or rotated by 90/180 degrees.

0 Likes