BLE UART Bridge have API?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
bosc_816161
Level 1
Level 1

We are using the Cypress project UART_to_BLE_peripheral as a UART Bridge for the EZ-BLE PRoC module CYBLE-022001-00. I have added some code to read the BLE name from a host processor and use that name to advertise, also I write the FW version to the host processor and control an IO pin. This all works fine, but we want the host processor to have more control of the module. So during my search I found EZ-Serial. This has the API we need to do what I was doing manually and the control over settings that we need. I thought that maybe the UART_to_BLE_peripheral FW was built on top of the EZ-Serial, but I didn’t see the API commands in the UART_to_BLE_peripheral code. 

Can you please clear this up for me? What is UART_to_BLE_peripheral built on? Does UART_to_BLE_peripheral give me the ability to control and change settings on the module? Is there a UART Bridge that is built on EZ-Serial?

Another question, is there a serial port bootloader that will work with a 128k part?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

No, the UART_to_BLE_peripheral is an independent example. There isn't API for this code. I suggest you to use the EZ-Serial platform. You can get the hex file of the EZ-Serial for your module here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

You can use the bootloader to develop your own application for the update if you don't use the EZ-Serial. Otherwise, you have to program the module with the SWD if you use the EZ-Serial firmware.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

The EZ-Serial firmware has the UART to BLE bridge which is called CYSPP. The CYSPP function can be activated automatically when the BLE is connected. You can change the module settings when the CYSPP function is off. The module will only receive the raw data from the UART and the command will not be recognized when the CYSPP is on.

You can update the module over UART or BLE by the DFU function.

Please refer to the EZ-Serial user guide for the details:http://www.cypress.com/file/384521/download

Chapter 3.2 introduce how to use CYSPP function.

Chapter 3.11 introduce about the firmware update.

Chapter 7 has the API reference.

Thanks for the info zhxh, but there are a couple of unanswered questions.

1) Is the Cypress project "UART_to_BLE_peripheral" that I have used as the base to our code that is running on 1000 of our boards built on the EZ-Serial platform? Is there an API for this code or do I need to switch over to the EZ-Serial platform?

2) We are using a CYBLE-022001-00, which is a 128k flash module and are looking to update the FW over the serial port. The EZ-Serial User Guide says that the DFU functionality only works on 256k byte flash size. Is there a different bootloader that will work with 128k byte flash modules (we have 1000 board built with 128k flash)? Or do 128k byte modules have to be programmed with the JTAG/SWD?

0 Likes

No, the UART_to_BLE_peripheral is an independent example. There isn't API for this code. I suggest you to use the EZ-Serial platform. You can get the hex file of the EZ-Serial for your module here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

You can use the bootloader to develop your own application for the update if you don't use the EZ-Serial. Otherwise, you have to program the module with the SWD if you use the EZ-Serial firmware.

0 Likes