Semper Addressing Question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoYo_979511
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe I haven't had my coffee this morning. But I'm hung up on something in the Semper address space mapping.

I know that when a page is accessed two 32 byte half pages are accessed. And I'm aware that Semper uses "mirror bit" technology.

But I see a 2x issue with respect to the number of byte addresses in a sector and the size of the sector.  I'm trying to understand what basic thing I'm overlooking.

Likely it's something obvious.

pastedImage_0.png

In the image below we have a 128KB sector with only 16 bits of address space... last I googled 16 bits define a 64K address space

pastedImage_1.png

By the same token a Uniform Sector layout of 256K byte sectors has an address range of 0x0-0x1FFFF (17 bits) which defines a 128K Addressing range not a 256K addressing range.  I re read the documentation multiple times, but I can't figure out how to access 256K of unique bytes with only 128K of address space.

What big thing am I missing?

pastedImage_2.png

I'm looking at  Document Number 002-12337 Rev O.  Specifically the 256KB UniformSectorAddressMap.

What is it about SemperMirror Bit technology that I am missing where I can somehow access 256K bytes using 128K of unique addresses.

I thought it might be in the half page access, but its not clear.  Help me understand.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
RoYo_979511
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out.

In HBUS mode the addressing accesses WORDS (2 Bytes)

In SPI mode the addressing accesses BYTES. 

!DOH!  Was pretty basic.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
RoYo_979511
Level 1
Level 1

I figured it out.

In HBUS mode the addressing accesses WORDS (2 Bytes)

In SPI mode the addressing accesses BYTES. 

!DOH!  Was pretty basic.

0 Likes