S29GL064N Erase Times

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jocac_4016601
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 likes given 5 replies posted

Page 70 of the data sheet.... 

Does the chip erase all sectors simultaneously when doing a sector erase?  Sector erase typ = .5 sec... x 128 for all sectors = 64 sec for a chip erase.  This makes sense but why isn't the max chip erase time 3.5 seconds x 128 sectors?  Is it correct to say that if I erase 10 sectors it would typically take 10 x .5 sec = 5 seconds?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
BushraH_91
750 replies posted 50 likes received 250 solutions authored

Hello,

The typical is representing an early life Prog/Erase life cycle performance. The Max is for a sector has been excessive gone thru Prog/Erase cycles, the Erase time is generally getting longer over program/erase cycles.

Regarding to 2nd question: Yes, the typical erase time of the 10 sectors are about 5 seconds (10 x 0.5 sec).

I would also encourage you to leverage the data polling to determine the status of the erase operation rather depending on the stopwatch timeout.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

BushraH_91_0-1623362006995.png

BushraH_91_1-1623362007022.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BushraH_91

Hello,

The typical is representing an early life Prog/Erase life cycle performance. The Max is for a sector has been excessive gone thru Prog/Erase cycles, the Erase time is generally getting longer over program/erase cycles.

Regarding to 2nd question: Yes, the typical erase time of the 10 sectors are about 5 seconds (10 x 0.5 sec).

I would also encourage you to leverage the data polling to determine the status of the erase operation rather depending on the stopwatch timeout.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

BushraH_91_0-1623362006995.png

BushraH_91_1-1623362007022.png

0 Likes
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The sector erase time for each sector is typically ~500mS (0.5secs).  Therefore, if the sector erase operation was initiated to erase 10 sectors, the sector erase time is ~5secs.

In regards to the Maximum Sector Erase time, has a specific sector(s) already reached 100,000 or more erase cycles?   If yes,  then the maximum sector erase time may be ~3.5Secs. (max.)

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

0 Likes
jocac_4016601
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 likes given 5 replies posted
On page 70 of the data sheet we see:
sector erase typ = .5 sec
chip erase  typ = 64 sec  (128 sectors x .5 sec)
This makes sense to me thus far...

sector erase max = 3.5 sec

chip erase max = 128 sec  ( 3.5 x 128 = 448 seconds)

Question: why does the chip erase not track the sector erase timing? (128 sec vs 448 sec)

Also, I do understand the polling operation... best practice as the erase only takes as long as necessary that way.

The reason for this inquiry is that the board this is on sends a message from the microprocessor to the main system controller when the erasure is completed .  Therefore, I need to set a proper time out condition for the system controller in the event of a failure.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
BushraH_91

Hello,

In normal circumstances, we do not expect all 128 sectors consuming the max time out at 3.5sec.  It’s not hurt if you want to use 448 sec as the stopwatch timeout as long as the polling algorithm applies correctly, so there is no overhead time penalty for your application usage.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

0 Likes