S25FL256S timing analysis issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am struggling to show that the timing analysis for the S25FL256S SPI Flash memory holds for Figure 5.10 SPI Single Bit Output Timing of the Document Number: 001-98283 Rev. *J.

The issue is that the Clock Low to Output Valid (tV) parameter max time delay is 8 ns, which violates the read operation setup time for AM3358 processor running in master mode with 48MHz clock frequency and 45/55 clock duty cycle. The AM3358 processor' Setup time(tsu(SOMI-SPICLKH)) (SOMI) valid before SPI_CLK active edge is 3.02 ns. Setup time margin = half period x duty cycle - tV - tsu = 9.36 - 8 - 3.02 = -1.66ns. However this example is application specific and out of your control, but I wanted to add the calculations for clarification.

Now assuming that one would like to run the SPI memory at say 100 MHz = 10 ns period = 5 ns half period, then given the Clock Low to Output Valid (tV) parameter max time delay of 8 ns and ignoring the delays related to clock duty cycle and master setup delays this should theoretically not work.

Please advise what am I missing..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Georgi,

As you stated tV parameter is 8 ns but please note it is a max spec. It may take less than that time also at ambient temperatures as you are seeing in the testing. At max temperature testing  it may take 8 ns leaving 1.36 ns setup time for the master device which can result in a faulty read. Your understanding here is correct. In this case you have to reduce your operating frequency to include sufficient time for the processor.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies