Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
yuxi_3250341
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi there,

About the DQ3 (Sector Erase Timer) bit, I have a few questions:

1, Based on my understanding of Cypress datasheets, DQ3 is used when we need to erase TWO OR MORE sectors in a single Sector Erase Command Sequence: after a "Sector Address + sector erase command 30h" has been input, we monitor DQ3; if DQ3=0, then it is OK to input additional "Sector Address+30h" to erase; if DQ3=1, then the erase op has begun and we should NOT input additional "Sector Address+30h".

Am I correct in this?

2, If in a Sector Erase Command Sequence we erase ONLY ONE sector, then we do NOT need to monitor DQ3.

If in a Sector Erase cmd sequence we erase TWO OR MORE sectors, but the timing between successive "Sector Address + sector erase command 30h"s are less than 50us (S29JL064H ds page 35) or less than tSEA (S29GL256P ds page 26), then we do NOT need to monitor DQ3.

Am I correct here?

3, In the following "Sector Erase Operation" flowchart (S29GL256P ds page 26), can I skip over or get rid of the "Poll DQ3, DQ3 = 1?" step ?

DQ7 and DQ5 can provide sufficient information about the progress & status (finished or not, success or failure) about Sector Erase; why bother polling DQ3 ?

pastedImage_0.png

4, In the above "Sector Erase Operation" flow chart, for its "Perform Write Operation Status Algorithm" step, can I use the following "Data# Polling Algorithm" flow chart in this step?

As far as I know, this "Data# Polling Algorithm" flow chart is applicable for all Cypress parallel NOR Flash devices, so I want to use it for compatibility across many device types I'm currently using (S29JL064H, S29JL064J, S29GL256P, S29GL01GT).

pastedImage_5.png

5, Chip Erase command sequence does NOT need to monitor DQ3, is this right?

Thanks for your attention, and Best Regards ! 🙂

xieyl

Feb 19, 2020.

1 Solution

Hello,

Please find my comments below.

2. Sorry for the confusion. If you are erasing only one sector, you can start data polling immediately after sending the sector erase commands. It is not required to wait for tSEA time.

3. Yes, it is correct. It is mentioned in the datasheet that "If the time between additional sector erase commands from the system can be assumed to be less than tSEA, then the system need not monitor DQ3."

4. As mentioned in the datasheet "The system can use DQ6 and DQ2 together to determine whether a sector is actively erasing or is erase-suspended". If you are not using erase suspend and program suspend operations in your applications, then you can skip polling DQ6 and DQ2.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies