Frequency of S25FL512S(SDR/DDR)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
murakami
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello

Please tell me about S25FL512.

1) Can I use FLASH of S25FL512DS * as SDR ?

If possible, is the maximum frequency of SDR 80MHz ? Is it 133MHz?

2) Can I use FLASH of S25FL512AG * as DDR ?

If possible, is the maximum frequency of DDR 80MHz ? Is it 66MHz?

best regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Murakami,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The default mode of the S25FL512S after power-up is SDR mode.   You certainly have the option to change the mode  from SDR to QUAD, by configuring the Config Register-1, bit-1 (CR1[1]).  Therefore the  S25FL512SDS can operate at 133MHz in SDR mode, but supports DDR commands, and will operate at 80MHz.   The S25FL512SAG will boot up in SDR mode, but also supports DDR commands, and will operate at is 66MHz..

Please refer to the Latency Codes for SDR and DDR High performance, on page 50, table 20,

for the appropriate Latency Count and operating Frequency.  I have attached the S25FL512S

sheet for your reference and review.

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlbertB_56

Hello Murakami,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

The default mode of the S25FL512S after power-up is SDR mode.   You certainly have the option to change the mode  from SDR to QUAD, by configuring the Config Register-1, bit-1 (CR1[1]).  Therefore the  S25FL512SDS can operate at 133MHz in SDR mode, but supports DDR commands, and will operate at 80MHz.   The S25FL512SAG will boot up in SDR mode, but also supports DDR commands, and will operate at is 66MHz..

Please refer to the Latency Codes for SDR and DDR High performance, on page 50, table 20,

for the appropriate Latency Count and operating Frequency.  I have attached the S25FL512S

sheet for your reference and review.

Best regards,

Albert

Hello Albert,

Thank you for your answer.
It is said that the S25FL512SAG can operate at 133MHz with SDR and 66MHz with DDR.

What is the difference from S25FL512SDP?

Best regards,

0 Likes
AlbertB_56

Hello Murakami,

Please carefully review the S25FL512S datasheet for the specific Latency Counts for each speed grade.  Ensure to pay attention to the correct Latency Count setting in Config. Register-1 (CR1) for your the specific use case  (i.e. SDR, DDR Dual I/O, DDR Quad I/O) and frequency/speed grade.   Not all Latency Count settings apply to all use cases.  Please carefully review the S25FL512S datasheet for the specific Latency Counts for each speed grade.

Best regards,

Albert

0 Likes