Failure of S29GL128P10TFI01 parallel NOR flash

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
huqic_3861581
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to use S29GL128P10TFI01 parallel NOR flash (16MB) with MPC852 processor using local bus to create a custom embedded VxWorks system. But when in the process of using this chip, we have the following problems:

1. After many times power-up and power-down, the startup file or the file in the flash can not be found or to be formatted.

2. Repeated occurrence of serial port without printing;

At present, after preliminary position, The problem is initially positioned at FLASH.

In addition,Our FLASH uses 3.3V power supply and the power ripple is less than 150 mV. the address line layout of flash is not equal in length, the length gap between the longest address line and the shortest address line is 50 mm, the data line is equal in length, the clock of our processor is 50 MHz, no PLL processing, and the RY/BY# of FLASH chip was unconnected. Have you met similar problems before? Or a batch of chips in your company often have similar problems. The label on the surface of chip S29GL128P10TFI01 is S29GL128P10TFI01 706FF309C@05 SPANSION.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Qiaopeng Hu

www.accelink.com | qiaopeng.hu@accelink.com

Tel: 13545230006

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Qiaopeng,

There may be the possibility that this specific issue may be related to a timing-violation issue.

1).  Please provide waveform of VCC and VI/O during power up.

2).  Ensure a 0.1uF capacitor is placed between VCC and GND

pins, but place the capacitor as close to the VCC pin, as possible.

3).  The RY/BY# output pin is "open drain".  Therefore, the RY/BY#

can remain unconnected without any consequence.

4).  Is the S29GL128P10TFI01 been already programmed

with the correct data pattern?

5).  Do not use any of the "DNU" (Do Not Use) pin.

Best regards

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
AlbertB_56

Hello Qiaopeng,

There may be the possibility that this specific issue may be related to a timing-violation issue.

1).  Please provide waveform of VCC and VI/O during power up.

2).  Ensure a 0.1uF capacitor is placed between VCC and GND

pins, but place the capacitor as close to the VCC pin, as possible.

3).  The RY/BY# output pin is "open drain".  Therefore, the RY/BY#

can remain unconnected without any consequence.

4).  Is the S29GL128P10TFI01 been already programmed

with the correct data pattern?

5).  Do not use any of the "DNU" (Do Not Use) pin.

Best regards

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

0 Likes

Hello Albert,

Thank you very much for your wonderful answer, but I have another questions to ask.

Sum up. Faulty flash chip surface label are S29GL128P10TF101 706FF309C @05 SPANSION and S29GL128P10TF101

722FF163C @05 SPANSION, and the total number is 18pcs. Have you ever received any feedback about the problems in these two batches before? Or is there a problem with these two batches in the production process?

Below picture one is the power-on waveform of VIO and VCC. Below picture two  is the power-down waveform of VIO and VCC. VCC and VIO are connected together. The voltage amplitude is 3.3V. Thank you !

Best regards,

Qiaopeng Hu

Accelink company, China

qiaopeng.hu@accelink.com

3V3_UP.png

picture 1

3V3_DOWN.png

picture 2

0 Likes

Hello Qiaopeng,

The VI/O and VCC rise and fall waveforms look okay.

Please ensure a  0.1uF capacitor is placed between VCC and GND pins, but place the capacitor

as close to the VCC pin, as possible.  The RY/BY# output pin is "open drain".  Therefore, the

RY/BY#can remain unconnected without any consequence.  Is the S29GL128P10TFI01

already been programmed with the correct pattern before assembly?

Lastly, please do not conect any "DNU" (Do Not Use) pins to the PC board circuitry.

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

0 Likes

Hello Albert,

If the programmer voltage of S29GL128P10TF101 chip is 3.0V, will it cause errors in data burned into FLASH or damage to FLASH? Thank you.

Best regards,

Qiaopeng Hu

Accelink company, China

qiaopeng.hu@accelink.com

0 Likes
AlbertB_56

Hello Qiaopeng,

The S29GL128P has a VCC core voltage range from 2.7V to 3.6V.  Therefore, if the Universal FLASH programmer

is providing a VCC core voltage of 3.0V.   The input control signals, as well as the I/O's will tolerate and output 3.0V,

respectively. 

Hope this helps...

Best regards.

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor

0 Likes

Hello Albert,

I mean, when I burn chips, I use 3.0V power supply. After the chip is burned, I use 3.3V power supply . Will it affect the chip?

Best regards,

Qiaopeng Hu

Accelink company, China

qiaopeng.hu@accelink.com

0 Likes

"when I burn chips, I use 3.0V power supply. After the chip is burned, I use 3.3V power supply . " this is no problem.

Roy Liu
0 Likes