Data about the difference in Bit Error Rate between NAND and NOR Flash devices

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I hope this question still finds the right people, for there was no place for memory in general.

I am currently writing my bachelor thesis about the evaluation of filesystems for flash memory.

There is two options: Either using a NAND flash with ECC, or using a NOR flash without.

Because I didn't find any filesystem that applies Error Correction on NOR flash devices.

So the question is what Bit Error Rates I am going to get from a raw NOR flash and from a raw NAND flash device.

I didn't find any data on the internet and the documentation section of cypress, so I am asking, if any one of the community could provide me with such data.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
BushraH_91
750 replies posted 50 likes received 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Community Forum. NAND allows 1-bit (or 2-bit, or 4-bit or even more, refers to respective NAND device datasheet) error bits per 512 bytes data. NAND also allows <2% bad blocks of the total number of blocks. So NAND file system not only needs ECC handling, but also needs bad block management.

NOR flash has 0 Bit Error Rate and 0 bad block as far as the working condition meet device specification. So NOR flash file system does not need to handle ECC and bad block management.

Again thank you and have a nice day

Regards,

Bushra

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies