Attached an S25FL128S to Spartan-6 when trying to program the device using Impact the tool reports Device has exceeded the allocated time. Is there any information on what that error really means regarding the memory?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Attached an s25fl128s to a Spartan-6 yet when programming through impact the device reports Device has exceeded the allocated time.  Has anyone seen this error and can provide any guidance on what this is an indication of.  This is a new design using ISE / Impact 14.7 custom hardware based on digilent cmod schematic.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The part you are using is the enhanced security model which the write protect is enabled by default.

Meaning of Suffixes “Z0” and “Z1” for S25FL-S – KBA223257

To disable the protection, a specific command sequence is required and the Xilinx impact does not support that. Please try with the normal model like S25FL128SAGBHI300 instead.

Best Regards,

Takahiro

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
TakahiroK_16
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Hello,

Could you provide the complete part number of the device (like S25FL128SAGMFI001) you are using?

Best Regards,

Takahiro

0 Likes

The part you are using is the enhanced security model which the write protect is enabled by default.

Meaning of Suffixes “Z0” and “Z1” for S25FL-S – KBA223257

To disable the protection, a specific command sequence is required and the Xilinx impact does not support that. Please try with the normal model like S25FL128SAGBHI300 instead.

Best Regards,

Takahiro

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am trying to program the S25FL128LAGMFI010, also using iMPACT and a Spartan-6.  I don't think my Flash is a high-security model, but I am getting the same problem. "ERROR:iMPACT:2525 - '1': Device has exceeded the allocated time."

I have changed my Environment Variable to skip the ID check. I even down-graded my version of iMPACT to 13.4, as per AR# 52747: iMPACT 14.2/3/4 - Spartan-3E - "Device has exceeded the allocated time" failure when runn... (I know this is not for Cypess or Spartan-6, but I gave it a try anyway).

This is for a new design, so I have been comparing different flash ICs. The almost-identical counterparts from Winbond program well, but I would rather stick with Cypress if possible. Can anyone provide any other hints?

Thank you!

Robert

0 Likes

Hi Robert,

When I verified that the S25FL064L with iMPACT 14.7 and SP601 Spartan 6 board, I got the following messages in iMPACT console window.

pastedImage_0.png

Which step you got iMACT ERROR?

And what part number do you select in the Select Attached SPI/BPI" window?

Since you are using S25FL128L, you can select S25FL128S or S25FL129P.

pastedImage_2.png

Best Regards,

Takahiro

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Takahiro,

I will look again when I get back in the office, but one thing I see right away: it looks like you are communicating with the flash in quad-SPI mode.  I am using only single-SPI.  Should that make a difference?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi Robert,

What is your iMPACT version? Did you try with v14.7?

And what part number do you select in the Select Attached SPI/BPI" window?

Best Regards,

Takahiro

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we have been using 14.7.

And we have tried both the S25FL128S and S25FL129P settings.

Here is another screenshot of the console:

S25FL129P Console.PNG

I am able to use the Winbond W25Q16JVSSIQ, which should be(?) identical in almost all respects, electrically (not capacity). I can just go with that chip for my product, but it bothers me why the Cypress should be different. It warns me that maybe I have something else wrong.

Thanks!

0 Likes