FM24C64B gamma radiation tolerance?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
daka_4819311
Level 1
Level 1

I’m currently designing a pcb that will be exposed to high levels of gamma radiation (used at nuclear plants).
I have found information that  Cypress FRAM memories are ”Intrinsic gamma radiation tolerant”,
This sounds good, but can’t find any figures about the actual radiation tolerance.

Before implementing FM24C64B in my design , I need figures about the expected gamma radiation dose tolerance. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi

Volatile memories, DRAM and SRAM, use a capacitor to store charge or a simple latch to store state. These cells can be upset by alpha particles, cosmic rays, heavy ions, gamma, x-rays, etc. which cause bits to flip to an opposite state to cause a soft error. Since the F-RAM cell stores the state as a PZT film(lead zirconate titanate ) polarization, a particle hit is very unlikely to cause the polarization to change a given cell’s state. You can also refer to attached document for some numbers.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi

Volatile memories, DRAM and SRAM, use a capacitor to store charge or a simple latch to store state. These cells can be upset by alpha particles, cosmic rays, heavy ions, gamma, x-rays, etc. which cause bits to flip to an opposite state to cause a soft error. Since the F-RAM cell stores the state as a PZT film(lead zirconate titanate ) polarization, a particle hit is very unlikely to cause the polarization to change a given cell’s state. You can also refer to attached document for some numbers.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes