UART SmartCard Mode's Supported Baud Rates

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StLe_4753786
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello,

I'm using a PSoC 6 WIFI-BT Prototyping Kit (CY8CPROTO-062-4343W), with pin P5_5 (SCB10) configured in UART SmartCard mode, communicating to a ISO7816 T=0 smart card.

I'm having unreliable data transfer at baud rates >= 38.4kbps.  So far, I'm able to read the ATR at UART 9.6 kbps, PWM clk 3.57MHz.  After sending the PPS command (Fi=372, Di=12) to the smart card (ISO7816 T=0 protocol), I changed the UART clock divider so that baud rate is 115kbps, while keeping the same PWM clk at 3.57MHz. Now I'm unable to send commands to the card (Basically: the bytes which I sent, are incorrect when I read them back).  This problem does not happen if I used low baud rates e.g. 19.2 and 28.8 kbps.  At 38.4kbps, the transfer fails about half the time.

In the CY8C62x8 technical reference manual, section "27.4.3.3 SmartCard (ISO7816)", there is no information about the supported baud rates.  As a comparison, I noticed that the "IrDA mode" baud rates are clearly stated (section 27.4.3.4).

Please advise whether the UART SmartCard mode is able to support baud rates higher than 38.4kbps and what is the maximum value.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Stan

0 Likes
7 Replies
XuetongZ_36
Employee
Employee
Welcome!

Hi Stan,

what are the clk_hf or clk_peri frequency, PERI divider for clk_scb, and CTRL.OVS setting in above cases? Thanks

0 Likes

Hello Xuetong,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm using the following code to get the desired baud rates (9600bps to read ATR, and 115kbps after changing the PPS).

#define PERIPHERAL_SOURCE_CLK_FREQ  100000000 // 100MHz

#define OVERSAMPLING                16

#define MAX_VALUE_FRACTIONAL_BITS   32

uint32_t dividerValue = (PERIPHERAL_SOURCE_CLK_FREQ / OVERSAMPLING / bitrate) - 1;

uint32_t fracValue = (PERIPHERAL_SOURCE_CLK_FREQ / OVERSAMPLING % bitrate) * MAX_VALUE_FRACTIONAL_BITS / bitrate;

Cy_SysClk_PeriphSetFracDivider( CY_SYSCLK_DIV_16_5_BIT,

0U,

dividerValue,

fracValue);

Using the above code:

# 9600 bps:     dividerValue = 650, fracValue = 1

# 115200 bps:   dividerValue = 53, fracValue = 8

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Stan

0 Likes

Hi Stan,

1, how do you generate the PWM clock 3.57MHz?

I assume 3.57= 100/28

2, are you using internal IMO as clock source?

if so, there is some inaccuracy in the IMO source, maybe 2% (you may double check it).

3, there is some baud accuracy requirement for reliable UART communication.

the inaccuracy comes from clock source, dividers and OVS, and inaccuracy on the other side,

to debug the problem, I would propose to use integer divider (not fractional one, or set fractional part to 0).

you can calculate the divider caused inaccuracy in a Excel file, and find the best-fit integer divider value.

for 115.2Kbps case, could you try integer divider of 54?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hello Xuetong,

1. I'm using this code block to set the PWM clock:

#define ISO7816_DEFAULT_PWM_CLK_FREQUENCY       3570000UL // 3.57MHz

#define PWM_DUTY_CYCLE                          (50.0f)

#define ISO7816_CLK                                     (P6_3)

cyhal_pwm_set_duty_cycle(ISO7816_CLK,

PWM_DUTY_CYCLE,

ISO7816_DEFAULT_PWM_CLK_FREQUENCY);

2. The UART clock source is CLK_PERI (100MHz +- 2.4%), as per default in Device Configurator

3. I have previously used Cy_SysClk_PeriphSetDivider(integer divider) and also ran into the same issue (unable to go beyond 38.4kbps).

Any other suggestion?

Best Regards,

Stan

0 Likes

Hi Stan,

you can search article "Determining Clock Accuracy Requirements for UART Communications" for reference.

when eye window is 75% of bit time (depending signal quality), the clock accuracy requirement is about 3.3%.

at the first step, IMO clock source already take 2.4%,

at the second step, clk_scb divider will also cause some inaccuracy,

4, what is the card device? what is the max supported data rate?

5, do you have yet another read device? can it work at higher data rate?

6, the same hardware module worked well in pass ten years.

I have no more idea to debug now.

what is your location and end application?

you can create an CRM case when necessary, so the AE team can try to reproduce this issue and debug.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hello Xuetong,

I have new findings.  I have tried 3 configurations.

One of them is able to perform ISO7816 at 115kbps:

#define ISO7816_1_RESET             (P6_3)

#define ISO7816_1_CLK               (P6_0)

#define ISO7816_1_IO                (P6_1)

Two of them failed (>= 38.4kbps)

#define ISO7816_2_RESET             (P9_3)

#define ISO7816_2_CLK               (P9_0)

#define ISO7816_2_IO                (P9_1)

#define ISO7816_3_RESET             (P5_7)

#define ISO7816_3_CLK               (P5_4)

#define ISO7816_3_IO                (P5_5)

I have experimented on two PSoC 6 Wi-Fi-BT Prototyping Kits, with different combinations of SIM slot hardware, getting the same outcome.  I'm using are SIM cards, capable of reaching 230kbps (the ATR TA1 byte is 0x96).  I would like to make a USB smart card reader with multiple ISO7816 slots.

Any idea what could be wrong with P5_5 and P9_1?  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Stan

0 Likes
XuetongZ_36
Employee
Employee
Welcome!

Hi Stan,

sorry for late reply.

I cannot see difference between above 3 configurations (SCB instance and IO pins).

P6_1, SCB[3]

P9_1, SCB[2]

P5_5, SCB[10]

I do not have a system setup with the kit and card to replay your case.

please check the difference with oscilloscope, and difference about the read back failure.

0 Likes