SPI Rx FIFO size limitations in MTB API's

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BiM_4640481
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hello,

I am trying to integrate Toshiba flash driver code with Bootloader(version 1.x) code of PSoC6-43012 in MTB. Earlier I had posted a query related to reading the device id of flash, and it got resolved in following thread, solved by @https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-6-MCU/SCB-SPI-transmit-and-receive-buffer-size/td-p/277228

Continuing working with flash I need to read flash sectors or pages  using PDL API Cy_SCB_SPI_ReadArray(), which are 1024/4096 bytes respectively. But I can see Rx FIFO holds a maximum of only 128 bytes. Is there a size limitation ?

I need to implement using PDL API's

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Binsy M S

0 Likes
1 Solution
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @BiM_4640481,

The size of Rx FIFO is not an issue when HAL APIs are used because they use interrupts to manage data transfer. Whenever data enters the RX FIFO, it is taken out. Hence the size of RX FIFO will not matter in that case.

Regards,
Nikhil

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ncbs

Hi @BiM_4640481,

Yes, RX FIFO can hold a maximum of 128 bytes.

Since large blocks of data have to be transferred, it is recommended to use DMA. 

Check out how to use DMA for SPI communication here: https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-psoc6-spi-master-dma

Hope this helps,
Nikhil

Hello Nikhil,

Thanks for the reply.

I have few more questions on this.

I have tried writing the same program using HAL API's. It works fine. I am able to read and write 1024 bytes of data.  HAL works on top of PDL right? Then why the size of Rx FIFO is not an issue in this case?

Thanks,

Binsy M S

0 Likes
ncbs

Hi @BiM_4640481,

The size of Rx FIFO is not an issue when HAL APIs are used because they use interrupts to manage data transfer. Whenever data enters the RX FIFO, it is taken out. Hence the size of RX FIFO will not matter in that case.

Regards,
Nikhil