New! XMC Device Support in ModusToolbox

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Exciting News! Application development support for XMC industrial microcontrollers is being introduced in ModusToolbox. This is the first step toward a tight integration of the devices with all the great benefits of ModusToolbox – Project Creator and Library Manager tools, configurators, and third-party IDE support.

We completed the first, early-access release at the end of 2020. It features support for the XMC1400 (48MHz ARM Cortex-M0) and XMC4700 (144MHz Cortex-M4) devices, and includes a small set of Code Examples, kit BSPs and XMClib software plus support for programming/debugging via Segger J-Link and J-Link LITE (on-board debugger).

The production-ready release, which is expected in February, will add more Code Examples and extend the set of peripherals supported by the Device Configurator. Look out for more updates throughout 2021 as we add new features, device families and kit BSPs.

Want to try it out? It’s easy! The first set of devices are enabled by the ModusToolbox 2.2.1 Patch Release. Follow the instructions to install the patch on top of the 2.2 software. Then just launch the Project Creator, pick one of the following BSPs, choose a Code Example on the next page, and create your first XMC project.

ModusToolbox-XMC.png

We'd love you to give this software a try and send us some feedback. So if you have any questions or problems and (best of all) great ideas, please post here and I'll try to help. If you just want to read about the new libraries here are some links to the GitHub pages and documentation.

8 Replies
jepaz
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

This is a great move it seems Infineons DAVE hasnt been a priority, how can I setup a project on other xmc series?, the XMC2go devices would be fun for trying, also xmc4500s

0 Likes

Yes, we're excited to bring XMC into ModusToolbox so it's great to hear that you are too. We started with XMC1400 and 4700 partly to build up support for both the CM0 and CM4-based variants. So we are ready to start extending support to the other devices. I do not have a schedule for you but I'll post here when we have news.

0 Likes
Markus_S
Level 2
Level 2
First like received 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

I'm a long-time user of DAVE and I really got to like the ease and efficiency of this tool. I also used PSoC Creator and I also like this tool for the same reasons. The philosphy behind those tools seems to be: Allow the user concentrate on the goal and let the tool automate as much detail work as possible. That's why one gets up and running so quickly.

Will DAVE and Creator be merged into Modustoolbox in the future? Or will you keep maintaining and develop the three tools separately?

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee

We are not merging the tools but we are certainly looking to make the experience in ModusToolbox just as efficient. In particular, we have the configurators for the device peripherals and middleware setup. These are used to generate the same kind of setup code as DAVE and PSoC Creator. It's a different approach but users tell us it's good. We're always open to feedback - and we're improving the experience with every release - so please give ModusToolbox a try and feel free to post your thoughts, experiences and suggests - we appreciate them all!

0 Likes

Of course I  look at Modustoolbox. The device-configurator seems to generate code that I then still have to manually copy-paste into my project. I'm sure you are going to change that, since it means a step or two backwards compared to other tools (DAVE or PsoC Creator). My impression is that Modustoolbox in its present form doesn't separate Infineon/Cypress from the competiton any more. A thing that PsoC Creator and DAVE surely do! Those tools are unmatched, in my opinion.

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee

You should not need to copy/paste the code into your project. There is typically a call to cybsp_init() at the top of main() that runs all the generated code for you. If that's not there - you may have an old installation. We're on v2.3 now FYI. 

Thank you for the kind words about PSoC Creator and DAVE. We put a lot of heart and soul into those products are we're just as passionate about making ModusToolbox every bit as good!

0 Likes

Hey, and what about of all the "DAVE APP´s" , Hardware interconnections and Recource Mapping features? At the moment i cant see features like this in MTB. Will it come in future releases?

Markus_S
Level 2
Level 2
First like received 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Even the newest version 3 of moduetoolbox doesn't even come close to the convenience in dave.
II am actually quite dissapointed. I do not see any advantages of Modustoolbox over the IDEs
of competitors like ST. Sadly, it seems that DAVE is going to be more or less abandoned by Infinoen.
I think this is a big mistake. We consider switching to STM32 as this offers a much mor efficient
IDE to work with in comparison to Modustoolbox.