ModusToolbox with SVN

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Andrea
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hello,

is there a best practice way on how to incorporate a ModusToolbox project into SVN version control?

For example, when I right-click on a project, I can open the Share Project dialogue under Team -> Share Project. I can configure a Git repository under this dialogue but no SVN repository. Do I need to install a plugin like Subclipse to be able to configure a SVN repository?

Thanks for your responses

Andrea

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Andrea,

Modustoolbox is an eclipse IDE. The following link might be helpful for you: https://www.eclipse.org/subversive/documentation/faq.php

The following link mentions the steps to install subversive from within the eclipse IDE: https://www.eclipse.org/subversive/documentation/gettingStarted/aboutSubversive/install.php

Thanks

Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Ekta_N

Hello Andrea,

Modustoolbox is an eclipse IDE. The following link might be helpful for you: https://www.eclipse.org/subversive/documentation/faq.php

The following link mentions the steps to install subversive from within the eclipse IDE: https://www.eclipse.org/subversive/documentation/gettingStarted/aboutSubversive/install.php

Thanks

Ekta

0 Likes
Andrea
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ekta,

thank you for your feedback. I could install the plugin.

As an information for other users. I got the error HttpComponents connection error response code 500 when trying to enter a link to the subverversive update site as referenced in step 3 of the second link you provided. This was due to the fact that in my company the connection of ModusToolbox to the internet was blocked. The issue could then be solved from IT side.

However, I still face some issues with sharing a project over SVN. I shared my project over SVN which compiles on my side. But it does not compile at my collegues side. First, the error message

*** Build support for the target device not found. Run "make getlibs" to ensure all required build and code dependencies are present..

is displayed. Therefore we updated the libraries in the library manager. Then we get several error messages looking similar to

../mtb_shared/mtb-hal-cat1/latest-v1.X/COMPONENT_PSOC6HAL/COMPONENT_CAT1A/source/pin_packages/cyhal_psoc6_01_104_m_csp_ble_usb.c:30: fatal error: opening dependency file C:/.../build/CY8CKIT-062-BLE/Debug/ext/mtb_shared/mtb-hal-cat1/latest-v1.X/COMPONENT_PSOC6HAL/COMPONENT_CAT1A/source/pin_packages/cyhal_psoc6_01_104_m_csp_ble_usb.d: No such file or directory

I hope you can help with this issue!

Andrea

0 Likes
Andrea
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

can someone help with my issue?

Andrea

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hi Andrea,

Can you please share the SVN project that was sent to your colleague here? This will help us to figure out if any files are missing or if there is some other issue with the shared project.

Thanks 

Ekta

0 Likes
Andrea
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ekta,

I can try later to generate an example project which I can share here.

In the meantime I have noticed that the design.modus file is by default located in the mtb_shared folder. Therefore I did not put this file under version control as I read in the ModusToolbox Library Manager User Guide that the mtb_shared folder shall not be put under version control. How should I handle the design.modus file correctly with version control?

Andrea

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hello @Andrea 

Could you please let me know if you are making any changes in the design.modus file?

In case you are making changes in design.modus then you can do the following steps to include design.modus in your main project folder:

1.Remove the BSP_DESIGN_MODUS component from the application definition build system example: add the following to Makefile under Advanced Configuration section:

COMPONENTS+=CUSTOM_DESIGN_MODUS

DISABLE_COMPONENTS=BSP_DESIGN_MODUS

Ekta_0-1626272990279.png

. This will enable you to use custom design.modus in your project.

2.Create a target folder for each board that your example supports.

3. In each target folder, copy the design.modus from the BSP for that target. Then customize design.modus as required for the application.

You can refer to the USB Audio Recorder project for example. You would notice that the code example contains COMPONENT_CUSTOM_DESIGN_MODUS folder for each of the supported target. The target folder in turn contains the design.modus file for that particular kit.

In case you are not making any changes in design.modus then it will not be required to put it on SVN.

Thanks 

Ekta

0 Likes
Andrea
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ekta,

thank you for your advice. In the source code I originally used, I did not modify the design.modus file. Actually, I was only using the example CapSense Tuning over BLE server with minor modifications.

In the meantime I found out that my project does not compile if my file paths are too long. Therefore, checking out my repository on a shorter path, solves my compile issues. I asume that this is actually related to the path limitations on windows (e.g. described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd).

Andrea

0 Likes