Issues starting with ModusToolbox IDE on Mac

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiRo_4598436
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

ModulToolbox 2.0.0 1703

PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit CY8KIT-062-BLE

Hi there,

I face some issues with the ModulToolbox IDE on my Mac. So far the tool is installed correctly (I believe).

Opening a first example (Hello_World) it seems not to open all resources? Or is it simply organised differently (because of reasons ).

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.03.04.png

On "Alan"s 101 introduction videos it looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.11.26.png

And yes: Were can I find the "BlinkyLED" example?? It's my favorite!!!!

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.13.04.png

And now, my main Problem is, that even it says that it has programmed the device it doesn't start running!??

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.14.38.png

I did need to setup the pins by my self Should that be so? Aren't these fully configured examples (like known from the PSoC Creator)?

Well, for example I configured LED9 to Pin P13[7] of the defkit and as "Strong Drive, Input Buffer off". This is correct isn't it?

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.16.50.png

Is there anything else I have to configure?

Would be great to get some help.

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi NiRo_4598436,

You will be contacted by a Cypress representative regarding the replacement of your kit.

The error that you see on PSoC Programmer is because you are using a ModusToolbox hex file on PSoC Programmer. PSoC Programmer is unable to parse the MTB hex file.

Or is there a revision in the PSoC Chip itself?

Yes, that is correct. It is not related to the board design, it is regarding the chip revision itself.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

13 Replies
NiRo_4598436
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Oh and yes, trying to start debugging ends in this:

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.24.20.png

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 22.25.38.png

0 Likes

Hi NiRo_4598436​,

Opening a first example (Hello_World) it seems not to open all resources?

As far as I know, the directory structure in your Project Explorer seems to be correct. The screenshot of the video series that you have shared is from a previous version of ModusToolbox.

And yes: Were can I find the "BlinkyLED" example?? It's my favorite!!!!

The Hello_World project that you have downloaded is the BlinkyLED example in ModusToolbox 2.0.

I did need to setup the pins by my self Should that be so?

No, the examples should work just out of the box. You are not expected to make any changes to the Code Example, provided the right Kit is selected.

Note that the pins will not be enabled in the Device Configurator (design.modus file). In ModusToolbox 2.0 Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and Board Support Package (BSP) are introduced. HAL and BSP abstract your device so that you need not worry about pin selection/assignment each time you change the device.

You will be able to find an initialization function for the LED pin in the main.c code as shown -

pastedImage_7.png

CYBSP_USER_LED (defined in cybsp_types.h file) will be the LED pin for your device.

Please try programming the project without any changes and let us know if you are able to see the program running on your device.

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Dear Rakshith

Thank you for your fast reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't work out of the box. I just removed the project and added it again. I did have set up and running with the psoc creator (on windows platform) once, so the dev kit is ok. But since I have a Mac, the ModusToolbox seemed to be the solution for me. Sadly it is that intuitive as psoc creator is.

For example: how do I know on which processor (M4 or M0+) the software is running?

For the psoc creator there are beautiful tutorials and the structure is very clear. For ModusToolbox IDE there isn't any video (or I couldn't find it) for...

-... how a project is set up from scratch

-... how will be distinguished between the two processors M4 and M0+ in the PSoC6

You said that the pins will not be configured with the Device Configurator. What it the Device Configurator god for then? Or does that only count for the provided examples?

Debugging: When starting the debugger (KitProg3) the LED3 starts shining green. But I can't control any thing with the debug control buttons . First of all it seems to start right away without wayting at the entry point (main), ok this may be a compiler setting. But not even a breakpoint makes it stop. Did id even start? Because when pressing "Pause" is seems to be eroneous?! Please check out my both screen shots.

So, what is wrong?

(SW5 set to the middle, SW6 and 7 set to pos1)

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 22.55.45.png

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 22.56.06.png

Sorry for asking so many things. But I get little frustrated and I don't want to search for that very little hint in the nirvana of documentation and descriptions. It works so easly with psoc creator.

I thank so much for any support.

Best regards Nik

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi NiRo_4598436​,

But since I have a Mac, the ModusToolbox seemed to be the solution for me. Sadly it is that intuitive as psoc creator is.

Yes, to program using Mac you need to use ModusToolbox and yes, there is a bit of a learning curve when shifting from PSoC Creator to ModusToolbox. But, once you get the hang of it you will realise that ModusToolbox is more advanced and opens a wide range of possibilities and caters to all the features of your device. You can always post your queries on the community and we will help you in resolving your issue

For example: how do I know on which processor (M4 or M0+) the software is running?

There is no support for dual core in ModusToolbox 2.0. But, our internal development team is working on this and dual core support will be provided in future release of ModusToolbox

-... how a project is set up from scratch

You can select Empty_PSoC6_App as shown. This will create an empty project for you and you can work on your application from scratch.

pastedImage_8.png

You said that the pins will not be configured with the Device Configurator. What it the Device Configurator god for then? Or does that only count for the provided examples?

As I have told MTB 2.0 introduces HAL which is like a wrapper over PDL and provides simpler higher level APIs. All the initializations can be done in the main.c file itself. But if you want you can use the PSoC Creator way of creating your application where you use PDL functions in your code and allocate pins/resources in Device Configurator.

I have created the projects using both these methods and I will go through the steps that you need to follow to do the same.

1. Click on New Application and select your kit.

2. Next select Empty_PSoC6_App as the starter application. You can rename the project if you want.

3. Complete the project creation process.

4. Copy the appropriate main.c (HAL_main.c for HAL and PDL_main.c for PDL) code from the files that I have shared and paste it in your main.c file

Using HAL -

5. As everything is initialised in main.c itself in HAL, your HAL project is set up.

6. You can program the device.

Using PDL -

5. Open Device Configurator.

6. Under Pins tab enable one of the pins. I have enabled P0[3] in the screenshot. Name the pin as LED.

pastedImage_13.png

7. Ensure that the pin configurations are as shown -

pastedImage_14.png

8. Save the changes. Build the project and program the device.

I have also attached the hex files of both the projects. Can you try programming your device with the hex files using Cypress Programmer and let me know if you are able to see the LED blink?

Hope this helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Now to change the device/kit click on Library Manager under Tools. This opens the Library Manager. Select the devices that you want and choose the Active BSP, which is the current device that you want to program.

Note that as I have used CYBSP_USER_LED (which  changes automatically with the Active BSP selected) you need not change anything in the HAL code once the device is changed. Whereas in PDL you will have to repeat Steps 5 to 8 each time you change the Active BSP.

Please let me know if you have any queries regarding my response.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

Hi Rakshith

Thank you veery much for your great support, which I really appreciate! Throughly through that there are some great advantages with the BSP.

Interesting and also to bad that dual core isn't supported yet! BUT, this may explain why my device isn't working! The question will then be, on which of the to cores will the code be programmed on? M0+ or M4? Because I had played around on it with PSoC Creator (on a Windows machine) before and maybe disabled the M4 in the M0+. (?) Could this be the problem?

I will try it out as soon as I have access to a PSoC Creator again in the next few days.

Do you know when the ModulToolbox 2.1 is planned to be released?

Thanks again a lot for your support!

Cheers Nik

0 Likes

Ok I couldn't wait (there is always a windows somewhere running somehow...)

I programmed a blinky example from the PSoC Creator (M4, M0+, or even Hardware) all examples work on the board.

Going back to ModusToolbox on my mac (setup this project again including your c code) removes the firmware programmed by the PSoC Creator and puts the new firmware on. With the difference that nothing is running (= no blinky led)

0 Likes

I now tried both hex files but neither worked.

It looks like they get programmed on the device but then nothing happens.

0 Likes

Hi NiRo_4598436​,

Before I answer your questions, can you please let me know the kit revision of your kit? It will be mentioned on the backside of your kit. Maybe you are using an older reveision of the kit which is currently not supported. But if that is the case you should be getting an error message telling that your kit is out of date. You can also refer to this KBA for further information - PSoC 6 Development Kit with Out-of-Date FlashBoot – KBA225613​.

Also what is the version of the PDL that you are using with PSoC Creator 4.3?

You can find this information under Tools > Options in PSoC Creator as shown -

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Now to answer your questions -

The question will then be, on which of the to cores will the code be programmed on? M0+ or M4?

Using ModusToolbox 2.0 you can only program CM4 core. You cannot program/access CM0+ directly.

Because I had played around on it with PSoC Creator (on a Windows machine) before and maybe disabled the M4 in the M0+. (?) Could this be the problem?

No, this will not be a problem. Whenever you are programming your device the device is first erased completely and then the firmware is loaded into the device. You can find this in your log each time you program your device.

Do you know when the ModulToolbox 2.1 is planned to be released?

There is no official release date for MTB 2.1 but the tentative release date is somewhere in the beginning of next quarter.

I now tried both hex files but neither worked.

It looks like they get programmed on the device but then nothing happens.

This seems to be a kit revision issue. The hex images are working with a couple of kits that I have and because you are able to see that the PSoC Creator hex file works and MTB hex file does not work I suspect that you have an older revision of the kit. Can you also perform an Erase All using PSoC Programmer and Cypress Programmer and share the screenshot?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

Okey. No I see, it might be the revision problem: I do have revision B* state on the Box, revision 11 stated on the bottom side of the kit (and on the the quick start guide it is stated as revision C) off the PSoC 6 BLE PIONEER KIT. As it says on cypress' website revision B is not supported on ModusToolbox... , ... ok,  if revision 11 is related to Rev* B then I am surprised a little bit, because I just bought it last December (2019). And it is not possible to find out what revision one will get when checking out any distributors website nor could I find that information of what revision exists (since when the revision C is on the marked?).

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.19.47.png

Ok, I do have the WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit as well (you see, I'm a big fan ). This I bought 2 month ago because I accidentally bought the BLE Kit instead of the Wifi-Kit and mercifully this is stated as Revision C on the Box (hmm, rev 11 stated on the board again?!). And it works!

So obviously I received a revision B for the BLE PIONEER KIT. Just wondering why I received an out dated one?

0 Likes

Programming HAL_Blinky.hex on the PSoC BLE Pioneer Kit (Rev B)

Output off Cypress Programmer:

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.39.49.png

Output of the PSoC Programmer:

PSoC Programmer Output.jpg

But I guess the problem is clearly a revision issue?!

Thinking further: ... revision B still has its blinky led on the same port (P1.5)?! and the chip is recognised as well. How could that not be supported? Or is there a revision in the PSoC Chip itself?

(There are for sure reasons, so if it is a complex answer, you don't have to answer on that and we make a stop on that issue I opened here. I just tend to dig in deep in such stuff.)

Thank you very much for your support!!

Greetings Nik

0 Likes

Hi NiRo_4598436,

You will be contacted by a Cypress representative regarding the replacement of your kit.

The error that you see on PSoC Programmer is because you are using a ModusToolbox hex file on PSoC Programmer. PSoC Programmer is unable to parse the MTB hex file.

Or is there a revision in the PSoC Chip itself?

Yes, that is correct. It is not related to the board design, it is regarding the chip revision itself.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B