How to generate BSPs for arbitrary MCU from the IDE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
benjaminpaik
Level 2
Level 2
10 questions asked 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

I'm currently evaluating the Modus Toolbox Eclipse IDE and see that when creating a new application, the BSPs are limited to MCUs with existing development kits. For instance, I don't recall seeing BSPs available for the PSOC 6 61 MCUs. If I created a PCB that used one of these MCUs, how would I create a new application and BSP from the IDE? 

Note: I have actually created a BSP for a PSOC 6 61 MCU using the command line interface. However, this process was rather clunky, so I'd really like to learn how to do this through the IDE instead.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Yes there is no BSP for PSoC61 devices because we don't have kits with a PSoC61 device in it. So, you need create one manually. To do this please follow the steps mentioned in this KBA: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/ModusToolbox-2-2-and-later-Make-a-Custom-BS...

If you don't like the CLI, you can do it by using the build targets feature of Eclipse. Start with the PSoC6 Generic BSP > Choose Empty PSoC6 App and create the application. 

Then right click on the project > Build Targets > Create and then add this command:
>> bsp TARGET_GEN=MyBSP DEVICE_GEN=CY8C6137BZI-F54

DheerajK_81_0-1612189768866.png

Click OK. You will see the build targets created inside the project folder. 

DheerajK_81_1-1612190025946.png

Double click the build target you just created and it will create the BSP in your project folder. Edit the makefile TARGET variable to make use of this custom BSP. Hope this method makes things easy for you.

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Yes there is no BSP for PSoC61 devices because we don't have kits with a PSoC61 device in it. So, you need create one manually. To do this please follow the steps mentioned in this KBA: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/ModusToolbox-2-2-and-later-Make-a-Custom-BS...

If you don't like the CLI, you can do it by using the build targets feature of Eclipse. Start with the PSoC6 Generic BSP > Choose Empty PSoC6 App and create the application. 

Then right click on the project > Build Targets > Create and then add this command:
>> bsp TARGET_GEN=MyBSP DEVICE_GEN=CY8C6137BZI-F54

DheerajK_81_0-1612189768866.png

Click OK. You will see the build targets created inside the project folder. 

DheerajK_81_1-1612190025946.png

Double click the build target you just created and it will create the BSP in your project folder. Edit the makefile TARGET variable to make use of this custom BSP. Hope this method makes things easy for you.

Regards,
Dheeraj

benjaminpaik
Level 2
Level 2
10 questions asked 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Thanks for your suggestion. I find the alternate approach preferable since I can do everything without having to leave Eclipse. If possible, I would still like to submit a feature request to add a separate MCU selection to the Project Creator GUI for generic templates, to make the process more user friendly. Is there an official channel I can submit this to?

0 Likes

Hello @benjaminpaik ,

Glad this solution works for you. I agree there should be a more user-friendly approach to this. Thank you for the feedback. I have created an internal ticket with the software team to support this enhancement request.

There is nothing you need to do, I've got you covered 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj