Issues when performing OTA update with CYBT-413055-02

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HaFl_4842056
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hello,

I've recently been experimenting with flashing firmware to a CYBT-413055-02 with the "WsOtaUpgrade" tool built into 

ModusToolbox2.2

I had no issues flashing a modified BLE_Beacon example to a brand new CYBT-413055-02 evaluation board over the air. 

However, when attempting to flash the same firmware to a brand new CYBT-413055 module on a different PCB, the WsOtaUpgrade tool fails and states : "This device may not support OTA FW upgrade. Please select another device." This module is detected as "mtk_dut_413055" on a BLE scanner app.

Does anybody know what might be preventing me from flashing new CYBT-413055 modules OTA? Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

I am not sure what is the default firmware comes in a brand new CYBT-413055-02. Mostly it won't support OTA by default. So you have to re-program it with a firmware which supports OTA upgrade. For that you can use the HCI UART programming method. 

Ideally, the device should be ready for accepting the incoming firmware - ie. We have to put the device into Download. For that you can use the CTS - RESET pins/signals combination as I mentioned. If the chip memory is completely erased (ie. no NVRAM config available), then also the chip will go to download mode automatically. 

Answer to your follow up question: 

Yes. If you can put the device into Download mode manually or Erasing the chip completely, and pull the CTS low manually throughout the flashing process, then you may be able to download the firmware. Once you download the firmware with OTA support, then in future you can upgrade the firmware Over The Air. 

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

The device firmware should support Over The Air upgrade of firmware.  Make sure, the brand new module based PCB is flashed with appropriate firmware which support OTA successfully. If you have flashed it with default BLE_Beacon I am not expecting the name "mtk_dut_413055" while scanning for the device, unless you changed the name. Make sure the download is proper and complete. 

Also, Please make sure you have followed the reference design for making the CYBT-413055 module based PCB.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cybt-413055-eval-ez-bt-module-arduino-e...

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

HaFl_4842056
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dheeraj,

Thank you for your reply. I have not been able to flash the brand new module based PCB with any firmware yet. This is because the USB to serial IC on this PCB does not have the CTS and RTS flow control pins. I still able to pull CTS low on boot but cannot use ModusToolbox to flash updated firmware over the serial port without flow control. 
This is why I am trying to perform the first firmware update OTA. 

As a follow up question: Is there any way to flash firmware over the HCI serial without using the flow control pins? Note that I can still pull CTS low manually throughout the flashing process.

Thanks again for your support in this manner

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

I am not sure what is the default firmware comes in a brand new CYBT-413055-02. Mostly it won't support OTA by default. So you have to re-program it with a firmware which supports OTA upgrade. For that you can use the HCI UART programming method. 

Ideally, the device should be ready for accepting the incoming firmware - ie. We have to put the device into Download. For that you can use the CTS - RESET pins/signals combination as I mentioned. If the chip memory is completely erased (ie. no NVRAM config available), then also the chip will go to download mode automatically. 

Answer to your follow up question: 

Yes. If you can put the device into Download mode manually or Erasing the chip completely, and pull the CTS low manually throughout the flashing process, then you may be able to download the firmware. Once you download the firmware with OTA support, then in future you can upgrade the firmware Over The Air. 

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

HaFl_4842056
Level 1
Level 1

Thats great.

In the end I needed to modify my PCB or make a custom jig to ensure the CTS inputs of both the CYBT and PC are pulled down during a programming attempt. This allowed me to update firmware with one that allowed OTA upgrades.