Customize BLE pairing passkey parameters on CYW20819

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jean
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

Using a Cypress CYW20819 controller on a custom board, we are trying to customize BLE pairing method.
Cypress firmware is compiled using ModusToolBox 2.0/2.1 workflow and `wiced_btsdk` 2.4.

During pairing, we want the cypress controller to print a passkey (randomly generated), then, the peering device (a Linux 4.19.80 with bluez 5.50) will have to type this passkey to validate pairing.
By setting cypress controller pairing IO capabilities to `BTM_IO_CAPABILITIES_DISPLAY_ONLY`, this works fine, a random 6 digits number is correctly printed, and peering device can correctly pair.
At this stage, the peering device has 30 seconds to type the passkey, otherwise, pairing will fail returning `SMP_RSP_TIMEOUT` error.

However, we now want to set the pairing passkey to 4 digits :
* Is it possible using cypress SDK ?
* I read that BLE passkey has to be a 6 digits number, so an acceptable workaround would be to use a 6 digits passkey between '000000' and '009999' (a '00' prefix can be set on peering device). Can we set pairing passkey manually at runtime using cypress SDK ?

We also to be able to set the pairing passkey timeout to 60 seconds. Is it possible using cypress SDK ?

Best Regards,

Jean Martin.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Jean,

For any Cypress device, there is no option to generate own passkey. The 6 digit passkey is randomly generated by stack. Therefore, I am afraid there is no way to set a 4 digit passkey.

I will check about the timeout thing internally. 

FYI: https://community.cypress.com/t5/ModusToolbox-Bluetooth-SDK/Fixed-passcode-for-CYW20819/m-p/97511

https://community.cypress.com/t5/WICED-Studio-Bluetooth/CYW20706-Pairing-mode/m-p/86073#M1844

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies