CYW920819EVB-02 - Can't program it Modus. New error that I can't clear

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiRo_263836
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 likes received 50 replies posted

I have been using the CYW920819EVB-02 on 2 laptops.  1 works fine but the other used to work, but now gives me an error that I can't fix with the Recover and Reset buttons

========================

Detecting serial port ...

Found serial port : COM3

Downloading FW ...

Error creating a transport connection ( PORT=COM3

BAUDRATE=3000000

)   Failed to open the specified port!

Download failed

If you have issues downloading to the kit, follow the steps below -

Press and hold the 'Recover' button on the kit.

Press and hold the 'Reset' button on the kit.

Release the 'Reset' button.

After one second, release the 'Recover' button.

==========================

I have tried 3 different USB Ports

I uninstalled and installed Modus TB 1.1 (ModusToolbox Version:  1.1.0 Build ID: 234) and SDK 1.4

Nothing clears this error.

I have a BT MESH kit (CYBT-213043-MESH) and it works fine on both laptops.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Mike Roberts

0 Likes
10 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Mike,

Can you confirm if you are using HCI UART for programming or not? Does same board works on other laptop when tried to program same example?

Try updating/re-installing device driver or changing the cable.

0 Likes

SheetalJ_96

Unfortunately, that did not help.  I reinstalled the drivers and restarted the laptop. Same issue.  So I decided to plug a Self Powered Hub into that port and plug the EVB into the a hub port.  No more error.  It downloads fine.  When I plug the EVB directly into the USB port (remove the hub) and try to program the EVB, it fails with the same error.

There must be some residual in Windows when it first gets plugged that is not removed when uninstalling and installing the driver.  Possibly something in the registry.

Is there something else that I can try to clear the USB port?

0 Likes
SheetalJ

We haven't come across such error before so not sure what can be the reason.

Can you try connecting any other EVAL board directly to laptop & check if same issue exists.

0 Likes

The BT MESH kit (CYBT-213043-MESH) that works fine on the same USB port.  I have only seen this issue with the CYW920819EVB-02 on one laptop on 3 USB ports.

0 Likes
SheetalJ

Please check if your switch & jumper settings are correct as shown in below figure:

pastedImage_0.jpg

0 Likes

Jumpers are exactly like the photo

0 Likes
SheetalJ

Can you try following:

USB-Serial Windows Driver Installer – This file will install the Windows host drivers only. It is a windows driver archive executable that installs USB-CDC class driver for Virtual COM Port device (CDC-UART) and USB-Vendor Class driver for peripheral devices such as SPI, I2C, JTAG, GPIO, Vendor Mode UART and Manufacturing Interface.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/usb-serial-software-development-kit

Same results. Still have the error

0 Likes
SheetalJ

Hi Mike,

I am not able to figure out your problem here. Try changing the USB cable you are using. If the board works fine with other laptop/PC, then there is some issue with the USB port of the laptop which you are using right now. If the board doesn't work with other laptops/PC as well, then there is defect in board.

Can you please confirm this and contact your Cypress local team for further support?

0 Likes

The CYW92018EVB-02 programs fine on other laptops and on 1 USB port of the 2nd laptop.  It doesn't work on 3 other USB ports on the 2nd laptop.  I have a CYBT-213043-MESH that programs on all USB ports on both laptops.  That eliminates the USB port hardware problem or a defect on the CYW92018EVB-02. 

If you can't help me, then I don't know what to do. I wanted to get this resolved in case I saw this error from any of my customers.  I can workaround this issue, but preferred to have a solution.  I will try some more things on my own and let you know if I can fix it.

0 Likes