CYALKIT-E02 Solar-Powered BLE is compatible with ble mesh?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
riguc_4107646
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted First like given

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if Ican include a sola ble in a ble mesh?. Do I need to update the firmware?

THanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes an LPN will be the most suited mode of operation for a node powered by Solar.

All the mesh examples posted here Code-Examples-BT-20819A1-1.0-for-ModusToolbox/CYBT-213043-MESH/apps at modustoolbox1.1.0 · cypressse...​ have an option to work as LPN, you need to #define LOW_POWER_NODE = 1.

Regards
Winston

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WinstonF_61
100 replies posted 250 sign-ins 100 likes received

The CYALKIT-E02 uses a PSoC 4 BLE / PRoC BLE device. These are not supported in Modus Toolbox and also do not have support for Mesh. As of today there is no plan to support mesh on this exact board.

Besides this, I also see other possible issues. The CYALKIT-02 is not a very low power device and the BLE Mesh protocol inherently is a not a low power implementation and hence not well suited for Solar applications.

If you are willing to experiment, I would suggest you to look at the CYW20819 device which supports mesh and also has 'BLE Mesh Low Power Node' support.   Though we do not have a ready example for the 'Low Power Node' in the current release of Modus Toolbox, all the required libraries are available for you to develop it.

Winston.

SayaniS_66

Regards
Winston

Hi Winston,

Thanks for the response!!. I already bought 2 CYW20819  kits to test. My followinf question to keep the discussion on: Is it possible to add something similar to the solar ble beacon toas a LPN node in a mesh? WOuld you please give us your apreciation?. When ar we goig tto have the LPN example?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Yes an LPN will be the most suited mode of operation for a node powered by Solar.

All the mesh examples posted here Code-Examples-BT-20819A1-1.0-for-ModusToolbox/CYBT-213043-MESH/apps at modustoolbox1.1.0 · cypressse...​ have an option to work as LPN, you need to #define LOW_POWER_NODE = 1.

Regards
Winston