Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

Key Features of the Cypress® USB-Serial Bridge Controller - KBA85909

Key Features of the Cypress® USB-Serial Bridge Controller - KBA85909

Anonymous
Not applicable

Version: *D

Translation - Japanese: サイプレス® USB-シリアルブリッジコントローラーの主な機能 - KBA85909 - Community Translated (JA)

Question:

What are the key features of the Cypress® USB-Serial Bridge Controller?

Answer:

The Cypress USB-Serial Bridge Controller is the industrys first and only configurable USB bridge solution that has two serial channels that can be independently configured to a UART, I2C, or SPI interface. The USB-Serial bridge controllers integrate CapSense® capacitive-touch sensing technology (supports up to 8 touch-sensing buttons) and USB-IF Battery Charging specification ver. 1.2 (to detect the source of power on the USB port). The Cypress USB-Serial Bridge Controller offers the following industry-leading features.

Configurable Dual Serial Channels

The CY7C6521x family features up to two configurable serial communication blocks (SCBs). Each SCB can be configured to work as a UART, I2C, or SPI interface.

UART

• Full duplex data rates up to 3 Mbps.
  • Supports 7 or 8 data bits and 1 or 2 stop bits.
  • Parity can be configured as odd, even, mark, space or no parity.
  • 256 Byte Tx and Rx buffers.

I2C

• Master/Slave modes, clock frequency up to 400 kHz.
  • Supports multi-master configuration.

SPI

• Master/Slave modes, clock frequency up to 3 MHz.
  • Supports Motorola SPI, TI SSP, and National Semiconductor Microwire (half-duplex SPI).
  • Supports transaction sizes ranging from 4 bits to 16 bits in length.

USB Interface

The USB interface is compliant wiht Full-speed USB 2.0 specifications (data rate up to 12 Mbps). It supports Communication Driver Class (CDC), Personal Healthcare Device Class (PHDC), and USB Vendor Class.

Battery Charger Detection

USB-Serial Bridge Controllers support Battery Charger Detection (BCD) compliant to USB-IF Battery Charging Specification Rev 1.2. This facilitates faster battery charging for embedded applications. The following modes are supported:

• USB Standard Downstream Port: 100/500 mA
  • USB Charging Downstream Port: 1500 mA
  • USB Dedicated Charging Port: 1500 mA

Industry’s Best Capacitive Touch Sensing

USB-Serial Bridge Controllers integrate Cypress CapSense technology to support capacitive touch-sensing buttons. CapSense features SmartSense Auto-tuning and Waterproofing for high-reliability touch sensing. CY7C65215 and CY7C65211 support CapSense touch sensing in all GPIOs. CY7C65215 can support up to 8 touch-sensing buttons and CY7C65211 can support up to 5 touch-sensing buttons. CapSense is not supported on CY7C65213.

Lowest Power Solution

USB-Serial Bridge Controllers have industrys lowest stand-by current consumption (5 µA) among bridge controllers, making them ideal for battery operated solutions. The active current consumption is in the 15-mA range.

Support for Multiple Operating Systems

The USB-Serial solution supports the following operating systems:

• Windows 8.1: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows 8: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows 7: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows 10: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows Vista: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows XP: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows CE: 4.2 and later versions
  • Windows 2000, Windows 98SE
  • Windows Server 2012, 2008, 2003
  • Mac OS-X: 10.6 and later versions
  • Linux: Kernel 2.6.35 and later versions
  • Android: Gingerbread and later versions

Flexible and Easy to Configure

The Cypress USB-Serial solution comes with an easy-to-use Configuration Utility, which allows the customer to easily configure the device parameters such as VID/PID, product descriptor, manufacturer string descriptor, power modes, GPIOs, UART, I2C, SPI, Battery Charger Detection (BCD), and CapSense.

Table 1 explains the feature differences between the three parts of the USB-Serial Bridge Controller family:

Table 1. Differences Between the Three Parts of the USB-Serial Bridge Controller Family

Features

CY7C65213

CY7C65211

CY7C65215

USB-UART

Single Channel (UART/I2C/SPI)

Dual Channels (UART/I2C/SPI)

Serial Channels

UART

Yes

Yes

Yes