Read-While-Write (RWW) Flash feature inquire

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Leon_su
Level 2
Level 2
Distributor - Zenitron(GC)
10 questions asked 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Does CYPRESS have this kind of Read-While-Write (RWW) feature flash ? https://www.macronix.com/en-us/about/news/Pages/Macronix-Read-While-Write-(RWW)-Flash-Now-Adopted-by...

0 Likes
1 Solution
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Leon,

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately we do not have any serial flash devices that offers read while write feature. We have the program suspend feature that allows a program operation to be suspended to allow a read operation.

Please let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards,

Apurva

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Apurva_S

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor.

Can you please elaborate a little about the RWW feature? Are you looking for program suspend feature?

The recommended replacement for the flash device mentioned in the article (MX25LW5124G) is the S28HL512T Semper Flash with Octal Interface. It offers the Program Suspend feature that allows a program operation to be suspended to allow a read operation.

Regards,

Apurva

0 Likes
Leon_su
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Apurva,

The MX25LW51245G RWW Flash from Macronix provides multiple bank architecture with Simultaneous Read-While-Write capability that allows read access from one memory bank while writing to another memory bank. This feature enables the system to continue executing during the OTA update process happens in the background; furthermore, the system can roll back to its original firmware in the event of an OTA failure or data corruption. Does CYPRESS NOR flash has a similar feature to Macronix's RWW?

Thanks, Leon 5/27

0 Likes
Apurva_S

Hi Leon,

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately we do not have any serial flash devices that offers read while write feature. We have the program suspend feature that allows a program operation to be suspended to allow a read operation.

Regards,

Apurva

0 Likes
Leon_su
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Aqurva

Thanks for explaining,

Has this program suspend feature implemented to any platform yet? Can you give me a vendor list that already implemented this feature and I can talk to the customer base on it?

Thanks,

Leon 5/28

0 Likes
Apurva_S

Hi Leon,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide any vendor information. Could you please tell me your requirement? Are you looking for a sample project for the program suspend feature implementation? I would like to suggest you to register for the Early Access Program for Semper flash devices. Once registered, you will have the access to our low level driver for Semper flash. You can use the driver in your application for this feature implementation.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards,

Apurva 

0 Likes