CY22801 programming questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question -- I've not seen much on the CY22801.  Despite reading the data sheet several times, I'm still not sure of a few things regarding programming and operation.

I see that the programmer kit CY36800 can be used for this part. One question on this programmer: does it only program the part before being soldered in circuit?  If so, I assume it has a socket for the SOIC8 part -- the photos are pretty poor quality to be able to confirm this.  Can this programmer do ISP/ICP in system programming?

OK, once the part is programmed, and I am considering a fairly simple example: 10 MHz external input, 150 MHz output on CLKA. After the part starts up, there should be the proper frequency on the output Clock A. At this point, can the frequency be changed with the use of I2C serial programming on pins 3 and 5?  It is my understanding that the original programmed output (150 MHz in this example) will come up each time the part is powered up and that the I2C programming will not, and needs to be done each time.

Now, if the previous paragraph is true, how does one use the JEDEC file to change the frequency via I2C?

Is my understanding of the programmer and the CY22801 part correct?  If not, where have I gone astray?

Thanks, Don.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the CY36800 programmer programs the part before being soldered in circuit. The CY36800 programmer has SOIC8 socket on board.

The programmer has been designed to program the non-volatile memory of the device which is proprietary information. It cannot be used as an evaluation board to perform In-system programming.

Once programmed to your requirements using the jedec file created by CyberClocks software, the device is expected to perform as expected meeting the specifications.

I2C pin functionality can be directly used for the device with the pins provided for the same with default I2C address as 69H configured. While configuring jedec file through Cyberclocks, if PIN 3 (SDAT/FS0/VCXO/OE/PD#) and PIN 5 (CLKB/FS1/SCLK) is un-configured, then the created jedec file gets configured with I2C enable feature with 69H as the default I2C address.

Your understanding of the programmer and the CY22801 part is correct. The programmer will program the device for its power-on configuration. Changes made using I2C will last as long as the device is powered.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the CY36800 programmer programs the part before being soldered in circuit. The CY36800 programmer has SOIC8 socket on board.

The programmer has been designed to program the non-volatile memory of the device which is proprietary information. It cannot be used as an evaluation board to perform In-system programming.

Once programmed to your requirements using the jedec file created by CyberClocks software, the device is expected to perform as expected meeting the specifications.

I2C pin functionality can be directly used for the device with the pins provided for the same with default I2C address as 69H configured. While configuring jedec file through Cyberclocks, if PIN 3 (SDAT/FS0/VCXO/OE/PD#) and PIN 5 (CLKB/FS1/SCLK) is un-configured, then the created jedec file gets configured with I2C enable feature with 69H as the default I2C address.

Your understanding of the programmer and the CY22801 part is correct. The programmer will program the device for its power-on configuration. Changes made using I2C will last as long as the device is powered.

0 Likes