Advantages of Programmable PLL based device over pin programmable PLL based devices

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a ‘customized’ PLL, the Q, P, and the Post-Divider are mask-programmed in a ROM. They have Fixed values and fixed frequencies.

The Drawbacks of non-programmable PLL based devices are:

1.       Design (i.e. frequency) changes can be costly and time-consuming.

2.       Long lead times for new custom solutions.

3.       Searching for a new fixed-function part.

With Cypress programmable clock chips, the Q, P, and the Post-Divider are programmable in EPROM or EEPROM. Design changes are fast, easy and flexible. Programming a new set of P, Q, and Post-Divider values allows for design changes throughout project development.

To summarize, Cypress has Programmable synthesizers, EMI Reducing clock generators, VCXO based devices and programmable crystal oscillators that have following key advantages:

Programmable technology allows fast prototype builds

Generates a wide range of frequencies using low cost crystals (Xtals)

Multi-PLL devices integrates multiple Xtals/ XOs reducing cost

VCXO option for tuning frequency

Spread Spectrum option for reducing EMI at its source

Low Jitter for maximizing system reliability

Specialty Clocks for applications in Handsets, PCI, XDR Rambus

Low Power for portable applications

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to programmable clocks and just need to know if the 22150 can have all of its parameters reprogrammed via the I2C interface. I have an application that needs 6.3,6.8,7.8,8.7,9.3,9.5,&7.3728 MHz frequencies that would be field selectable.

As a side note I am running Win7 64bit and can't get CyClockWizard loaded. I'll keep trying. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can have CY22150 re-programmed using I2C. However, the programming is done to the volatile memory, which means that the new configuration will stay as long as the device is powered. CY22150 requires CyberClocks (Downloadable at: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=14426) and not CyClockWizard. CyberClocks installs fine with Windows 7 64 bit. An update to the CyClockWizard is expected soon.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried to install CyClockWizard under Windows 7 64 bit and it still fails to install siting OS imcompatibility.  Is the new 7/64 compatible version that you mentioned (over a year ago) still in the works?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

CyClockWizard is been worked on currently. However, you can make use of Windows XP mode and Windows Virtual PC within Windows 7. Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop. If you do not see these, you can download Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

On this page, select your edition of Windows7 and desired Language for installation.

Step 1:  Download Windows XP Mode

Step 2:  Download Windows Virtual PC

Step 3:  Update Windows XP Mode

To start using Windows XP mode in Windows 7 after installation, Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode.

Install the CyClockWizard software from Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC. Use the software as it would work in normal Windows XP operating system. I hope this helps till the time the software. is upgraded.

0 Likes