Attempt on Creating SD Card Interface

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had work some weeks on a SD Card interface module for PSoC 3, the module is not stable yet, i get read and write operations, read operation work always fine, but write operation sometimes corrupt the file system. In this post you can find a binary hex file to program the PSoC 3 module in the CY8CKIT-001. The firmware contains a test program for any sd card capacity, the test program list the directories and files on the root directory, no write operation is implemented in the test program to avoid cases where any sd card could be damaged. All the information is transmited using the serial port in the development kit, working at 115200bps.

To get the test program working and dont damage the SD Card the development kit MUST be working at 3.3v. The SD Card pins can be conected directly to the pins of the PSoC. The pin conection im using looks like this:

SDCard DO pin to P0(1)
SDCard SCK pin to P0(3)
SDCard DI pin to P0(4)
SDCard CS pin to P0(6)

RX to P1(6)
TX to P1(7)

Get the program running is easy, you only have to program the PSoC 3 device, plug the RS232 port to the PC open a terminal, push the reset button and the directory listing will start.

Im sorry that source code is not avaliable because a commercial project is being developed using the module im creating, i hope psoc creator comes soon with the SD Card module by default, will be nice to have a customizer for easy configuration.

Victor Andres

0 Likes
17 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second this feature request. An library for communicating with an SD card over an SPI bus (preferably and existing one in use for other peripherals), supporting one of the FAT file systems, would be immensely useful. A bootloader example to go with it would also be very useful.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this solution working if you are interested you can contact me at andrex289@hotmail.com

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am working PSoC Creator about reading data from SD card. But i can't data with command "SPIM_ReadRxData". Can you tell for me problem or send to me your code? My email is trungnt.sremis@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

PSoC® Creator™ 2.0 Component Pack 1 has the SD card interface,and it works really smoothly.

Download the update here : http://www.cypress.com/?rID=56745

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sd-card interface with above stated condition is working fine.

But the same code for PSoC5 module won't work.

What may be the reason?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Which Creator-version are you using and which component pack? Latest are Creator 2.1 CP 4.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interested in data acquisition with SD card.

Looked at SD card specs: seems like the highest speed version "Class 10" - does 10MB / sec - which is adequate for my needs (on 2nd thought - maybe that was "Read" speed not "Write" speed.

However - reading the .ppt presentation "Secure Digital (SD) Card Module Solution" from Cypress website shows limit like 2.2KB / sec.

Am I seeing this correct?

Why the limit?

How can it be increased?

K

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The presentation you are looking at is from an old attempt at doing

an SD Card desifgn. There was a kit, PSOC 1, yanked off market,

because there issues with implemenation.

I suspect the speed quoted in the presentation was in fact correct, given it

was on a 4 MIPS PSOC 1 implementation.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Forum SW cut my post off.

Basically I believe the speed because solution was done on a 4 MIPs machine, PSOC 1.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The obsolete kit -

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

One more try, attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Danaaknight,

Thank you for your response. I understand the .ppt was old with with a slow processor.

Is there an update on whether PSOC n  (I'm using PSOC 5) can "keep up with" the class 10 SD card? (on SPI? other?)

Capability to write data acquisition to class 10 SD card would be amazing!

K

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry - did not see that there is now an interface for SD card (emFile). I'll review - thanks for your help!

Kevin Keegan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK - so now back to my first question (after reading the emFile datasheet) - which shows (for one point) 282 KBytes / sec write speed with a 48Mhz CPU clock, 12Mhz SPI clock on PSOC 5 (for 8KB blocks). This 0.28MB / sec write speed is appx 40X lower than the class 10 SD card should handle (10MB / sec).

What is the limit?

Can the limit be removed?

Kevin Keegan

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

This table in datasheet pretty much seems to say no to 10 Mbit.

You can always post a case at (and ask what they are doing regarding the faster standard) -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dana, 

thanks for your response. I will pursue the tech support mechanism (I've use it lots).

BTW -  I think you meant 10MB not 10Mb

k

0 Likes