FX3 self powered design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a special firmware part to be done for self powered designs? Does the FX3 API disconnect and reconnect properly by monitoring the vbus pins? Or do wie have to watch this in firmware like on the FX2?

0 Likes
13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris, 

Are you seeing any issue with disconnect and reconnect in self powered designs?.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I´m not sure if the FX3 complies to the USB spec in self powered mode without firmware modification. Thats the reason for my question. In the FX2 the user has to watch the VBus in order to reconnect properly on plugging in. I di not find any hint in the FX3 documentation about this mode.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tody I tested the self powered design and it doesn´t work! When I power the dvk from the dc jack, the FX3 does not reconnect after disconnect the USB cable and plugging in again. In the CyFxSlFifoApplnUSBEventCB function I get the disconnect event on disconnect and some events (Connect, Suspend, Speed, Reset...) after plugging in again. But the FX3 does not reenumerate and windows sais " The device does not work..."

How can I modify the firmware to handle the self powered reconnect properly?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris,     

I have tried this disconnect and reconnect with the “SlaveFifoAsyc” example code on a self powered FX3 DVK board.     

But I did not see any issue with re-enumeration.     

Are you using the same example code or did you do any modifications to it. Please share me the source code if you did any changes to the example code.     

Also, are you testing with the FX3 DVK itself or its a custom board. Is it happening all the time.     

Thanks,     

sai krishna.     

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the SlaveFIFO Sync Firmware with only some little changes in the VID/PID descriptos, DMA FIFO flags and added one USB SET FEATURE request handling. I power the DVK (first version with ES FX3) with 5V from power supply and the firmware runs normal after download into RAM. After disconnect the cable and reconnect, the firmware never enumerates again. Do I need to change some jumpers? I only moved the slide switch to the self powered position. Even if I comment out the set feature request, the reconnect fails. With the unchanged cypress samples the reconnect often works on USB 2.0 host and sometimes on 3.0 Host. I attach my firmware sources, maybe you can find my error.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see any issue with the example code that comes with the SDK.

But I could reproduce the issue with your firmware.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am attaching a test build of the FX3 SDK that should fix this problem.
Please test with this SDK and let us know the result.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you . But with my source code compiled against the new SDK Version (1.1.1) the behavior is the same. Nevertheless the firmware examples shipped with the SDK work fine and reconnect prperly. I think there is an inconsistency between source and SDK, becouse my source is from SDK 1.0 and I did not change the source on updating the SDK to 1.1 and now to 1.1.1

Tomorrow I will update the Slave FIFO example with my changes and test the reconnection issue with the updated firmware framework. I will inform you then.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I ported our firmware changes to the new SDK version and now the self powered reconnect works as expected.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
haxu_299926
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Will you try to call the interface of  "CyU3PSysEnterSuspendMode" to enter the suspned state?Then wakeup the system successful. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe CyU3PSysEnterSuspendMode() is broken, even more in SDK 1.2.2 than in 1.2.1.
I have had a tech support case open for awhile; they are still looking at it.

Regards,

Steve

0 Likes