The expensive 'free' upgrades

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kemic_264446
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I have an 050 Kit, which I only got a few months ago, and now the LP processor is out I was offered a 'free' upgrade by cypress. However the 'free' upgrade from Cypress incurs outrageous chipping costs and import duty making it almost as expensive as just buying the kit here in the UK.

Compare this to TI who ship kits and upgrades for free, with no shipping and no import duty. 

It's yet another poor show from Cypress.

0 Likes
7 Replies
kemic_264446
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

oops... that should read 'shipping' not 'chipping.

If only there was an edit button....

0 Likes
ChEh_283106
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

I'm curious about the taxes you talk about... I live in France and when I made the order I was only asked for $35 shipping fee.

Did you have to pay the taxes when receiving your kit or was this already added during checkout?

I just received confirmation that you can do the upgrade yourself... just order a new CY8C5868AXI-LP035 to replace the PSOC5 on your existing board... Cypress is sending out sample chips for $20 (Q1) with free shipping.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The only time I did such an upgrade Fedex send me an invoice afterwards. They paid the taxes and customs fees on my behalf, and billed me (and they added their own fees on top of that 😞

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been asking cypress for a few months now to do something about the import costs but no action yet.

It typically costs £45 for import tax and handling by FedEx - and that's even on a free upgrade!

No response from UK sales representive. We typically buy a couple of dozen psocs a year.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

It might have changed by now. My PSoC3 upgrade was 2 years ago (or so). But last time, when I redeemed my Cypress reward dollars, I was told that the shipping company uses the normal Cypress Fedex account for shipping. And even though the Incoterms they used suggested that Taxes and fees are not included, I did not need to pay them.

So I would be rather happy to hear from someone in Europe who has ordered such an upgrade.

0 Likes
ChEh_283106
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

I got my upgrade board delivered to France more than two weeks ago but didn't have to pay anything when the board was received nor did I get any bill from Fedex to pay any taxes.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Thanks for the feedback! So it seems that the taxes / custom fees issue has been solved. So this leaves only the shipping costs, which I think are resonable.

0 Likes