Few questions on internal interrupts of components

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is always internal interrupt with ADC, UART or Pins.

What is the main difference of having internalk and external interrupt. There is always an option of having additional interrupt for example ADC. We can have isr connected to EOC of ADC but we can use internal interrupt as well. But what is the main difference. 

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Well the internal interrupts are needed to perform the function of the module. Usually a stub is built in so that you may insert your own code into the ISR. I do not prefer fumbling around in generated code especially when I have to change between different PSoC architectures, so I use an ISR component to get full control in my sources.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

But is the executin faster than the isr component? because I read that isr execution delay from its triger is 25 clock cycles.

So I was just concerned whether the internal isr work faster or not. If it works faster then i can easily use them.

By the way how to use them is another question?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The interrupt latency applies to all interrupts, internal or external. Again: when you are short of only 1 microsecond (the latency time) with an UART there will probably something be too tough with your calculations!

The UART internal interrupt handles a circular buffer to store the incoming characters, you still have to poll for chars.

The ADC creates several interrupts before a value is ready, while reading out the value another conversion can be made.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

"The ADC creates several interrupts before a value is ready, while reading out the value another conversion can be made."

Is this true, or is there just a state machine internal to ADC handling all decimator functions ?

The only internal interrupt I can find for ADC is referenced as follows -

eoc – Output 

A rising edge on the End of Conversion (eoc) signals that a conversion is complete. The pin
goes high for one ADC clock period. The eoc is typically connected to an interrupt or DMA
request. The DMA request is typically used to transfer the conversion output to system RAM,
DFB, or another component. There is already an interrupt, internal to the component, which is
connected to this signal.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Probably not a good day, today. Another mistake of mine... The state-machine needing several interrupts is (if I am not mistaken again) a construct of PSoC1 and not of PSoC5.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Although there is a real interrupt declared in ADC.h  and defined in ADC_INT.c

CY_ISR_PROTO(ADC_DelSig_1_ISR1);

where is a clearly marked place to insert some user code.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

There should be 4 of those as there is 4 allowed configurations.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes