CY7C64225 Linux (/dev/ttyUSB<n>) support?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try this out shortly, but want to know if support the the (USB2UART) chip in the subject line is supported in the standard USB "serial" devices yet.

Thanks, in advance,

Brendan

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

USB driver stack in Linux has a built-in driver for CDC-ACM class devices. As CY7C64225 supports CDC-ACM class, CDC-ACM driver gets automatically bound to the device and creates a device node in /dev/ttyACM*(* -The name of device node will vary based on the number of devices connected). If one device is connected, /dev/ttyACM0 node will be created which will be used by the application to communicate with the device.

For example, if the host is running Minicom (terminal emulation software) on Linux, the procedure below could be followed to communicate with CY7C64225 and stream data.

1.         Open Minicom on a terminal

2.         Press CTRL A + Z

3.         Press 'O' to configure Minicom

4.         Select Serial port setup in the configuration window.

5.         Upon selecting serial port setup, select serial device as dev/ttyACM*

(* could be 0, 1 etc depending on the device node name).

6.         Configure the Baud-rate in same window and then save and exit.

Thanks

Prajith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Prajith,

That's exactly what I discovered, only I used PuTTY as I prefer it to minicom and can use it across platforms.

Regards,

Brendan

P.S.: This is for UART connectivity to the Zedboard (http://www.zedboard.org), a _very_ cool little board! 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was all very useful. I'm setting up a integration build server that will have multiple users. The described method created /dev/ttyACM* device nodes that are owned by root group root and not read or writable by others. The typical users is not going to be able to change these permissions when they come to the build system to have theor prototype programmed. How can I change this usb procedure to give these files eithre different group ownership so I can put them in the group or to give others read write access? I've looked into the /etc/udev feature to accomplish this but I don;t know what the devices identifying codes would be.

any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,

-dave

0 Likes