Limiting intraspoke DMA transfer burst count to <=16

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Intra-spoke DMA of > 16 bytes requires a ping-ponging of servicing between the source and destination engines within the DMA logic. The reason is there is a 16 byte internal FIFO that fills up by the source engine after which control is switched to the destination engine to empty that out. This is repeated until the burst is satisfied. This ping-ponging has to occur because both engines are operating on the same spoke.

This normally works fine. But, if a previous DMA request is still being serviced by the destination engine and before the request is finished,  the source engine for the new request may hit the FIFO limit. At that point since the destination engine is still working on an old DMA context it doesn't yet signal that the new request is an intra-spoke DMA. In the absence of this indication the source engine fails to send a "go" signal to the destination engine to empty out the FIFO for the new intra-spoke DMA request. The destination engine therefore sits idle and this causes the source engine to hang indefinitely since there is no room in the FIFO to do anymore work.

So its always better to have burst count <=16.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I encountered a problem with chrome while posting this topic and on a reload the topic was posted multiple times. Damn.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Does this apply for Both PSoC3 and PSoC 5LP?

Bob

By the way:

When even the Cypress-engineers run into problems to post a project here, what will the "normal" user in need of quick response feel like? It is HIGH-TIME to improve the forum-software to the minimum required.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The forum software is very inconsistant on posts of graphic content,

mixed text and graphic, controls........no edits, multiple blank posts.......

We users pray for an update. psocdevloper.com, although a little out of date,

much better software. But it does not handle copy and paste of graphic

content.

Praying.........

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

No, the forum software is not picky of graphics. It is just picky about everything you type into it. This is true even for plain ASCII (because it doesn't really know what to do with those newlines...).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I face problems only when I work with or try to post with Chrome. I generally use Firefox or IE to post in forum but this time I forgot.

By the way, Cypress is working on total redesign of CDC. I am not sure when will it be launched.

And regarding the post , its better to have intraspoke DMA burst count <=16 whether its PSoC3 or PSoC5.

0 Likes