PSOC 3 USBUART / MATLAB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm looking for some starting point and some documents to read to do the following. Let me explain the setup first.

I have a board that has a PSOC, temp sensor and a current sensor.

I am going to have 24+ of these in a broad setup. It will be connected to the PC through a single COM PORT. I want the PSOC to spit out a table to the user, so that the user can set the PSOC according to his requirements. It can either be on hyperterminal, terra-term or MATLAB.

As the end user is not technical I don’t want them to do any programming. So I want to just give them a list of pre-defined commands and so that the user can use only that.

The PSOC should store that information and then implement based on that information.

At least for now the information that we are getting back from the PSOC is the current measurement and the temperature from the board. The data rate will be less than 100kb/s, as we just want it from time to time just to check if it is doing what we set it to do.

This is what I want the PSOC to do and how it is setup.

So I would like to know if there is any material that might be helpful in this scenario, I will greatly appreciate it. Currently I'm looking for a starting point to implement this setup.

Regards,
Jerry

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an example project on USB UART in creator. Just Start with that. I guess it should help you.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks rahul.

I guess my Most Concern is how do I save the data that I have received such that when the chip is turned off and turned on it remembers the previous information that was entered by the user. Is there a way to store the information onboard the flash and run from there till the user enters a new set of commands?

Let me make it more clear. The user will set the PSOC do a specific set of commands through the USB-UART or UART interface through com port. He will only enter some char. The char will have a set of commands associated with it in the PSOC. 

Now I dont want the user to enter that char every time he turns off and on the PSOC. I want to be able to store the char in flash memory I suppose such that the PSOC can read that directly and does not have to wait for the USER to provide an input.

Thank you for any help in this matter. If there is an example code that will be great too.

Please let me know if I'm not clear on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Regards,
Jerry

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Yes, there is EEPROM module to save / update settings, etc..

Features
 512 B to 2 KB EEPROM memory
 1,000,000 cycles, 20-year retention
 Read 1 byte at a time
 Program 16 bytes at a time

There are several apnotes that show usage, like this A/D calibration application -

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=50320

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jjthefreako,

Assuming that you successfully receive command from the PC via USBUART / UART, you can store the received data in non-volatile memory such as EEPROM or Flash.

As Dana has already pointed out, you can write into EEPROM. There is also an example project associated with the EEPROM component that gets shipped along with the creator which shows how to write to and read from the internal EEPROM.

Let us know if you need to write into Flash. I can upload a sample project which demonstrates writing into the Flash.

0 Likes
MaR_264466
Level 3
Level 3

A project to write into flash is reaaly welcome.... 

0 Likes
MaR_264466
Level 3
Level 3

A project to write into flash is really welcome.... 

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Also bootloader projects show this -

www.cypress.com/