Interface to application MCU

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, we are working to integrate WICED module with an separate application MCU.

We went throught the SDK 3.1.1 tools, drivers, but have not found a likely sample code starting point.

Can someone help guide us to figure out:

a. a suitable serial IO channel on WICED module

b. some starting point for the application MCU interfacing software.   I imagine WICED would respond to

commands to control the WiFi, setup and tear down data connections, etc.  So there would need

to be a physical channel (UART, SPI) and a command stack for the application MCU to

manage the interface.  A little like modem AT commands I suppose.

In concept we are shooting for this, essential a CAT5 wire replacement:

Current wired network:

Application

MCU with MAC

|----------------  PHY ----- 100BT ------------ LAN/WAN

Wire replacement using WICED:

Application                      WICED

MCU                               module --V    LAN/WAN

|<--------- serial channel ----->|

The serial channel could be UART or preferably SPI

The MCU is a Cortex M4 class processor

0 Likes
2 Replies
MiTo_1583836
Level 5
Level 5
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

What you describe does exist with AckMe and Inventek WiFi solution partners. They have modules that you can control via serial protocol from an external MCU. You most probably don't need to re-invent it

You will be able to send "commands" through serial to the module to control it.

Ackme has a solution called WiConnect here with the API: https://www.ack.me/WiConnect

Inventek API description is here: http://www.inventeksys.com/wp-content/uploads/AT_Command_Set_DOC-UM-20035-2.2.pdf

If you need further assistance to pick a module, please contact: Contact Info - Macnica Americas Inc.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Also have a look at the test console application, which is (as the name indicates) is a console application that you can use to issue commands to WICED and get network up or do scan, etc. you will find it at apps/test/console.

0 Likes