PSoC4 - Coming Soon?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess many(myself included) wouldve noticed the references to a mythical(or not?) PSoC 4 part throughout Creator 2.0.

If someone could share more on the myth,whats that about?

0 Likes
37 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't notice that, can you tell me where it was mentioned?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh,many places.

For instance,check out lines 49-50 of cytypes.h.

/* Device is PSoC 4 */

#define CY_PSOC4 (CYDEV_CHIP_FAMILY_USED == CYDEV_CHIP_FAMILY_PSOC4)

Not only in such header files,but also in the component files.The other day I was trying to mod the Character LCD module to take any 7 pins,and I noticed some similar lines there as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

I was busy working on other project and those projects seems to have some issues with the Creator 2.So I am still using the the Old creator. Can have a little bit more time to explore next week.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if there is an upcoming PSoC,I dont guess anyone on the inside would confirm that in public this early.

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

While we can't officially comment yet we are we are working on some exciting new PSoC devices. More to come...

I'm a bit worried about your migration problems, though, lleung... what's happening? If you do not wish to talk about it on the forum you can contact me (and some actual smart people) by emailing our psoc_creator_feedback@cypress.com alias. Porting to 2.0 is supposed to be easy so we really want to know if we got something wrong!

-- Mark.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice nice 😄 .. I guess we'll have to wait till the new PSoC4 is released for general access.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

from my sources,

PSOC4 is supposed to use a Cortex M4 processor

for low cost application.

some devices may be lower cost then PSOC3

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheaper than PSoC3, that is interesting. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like it to have new features in analog and digital blocks instead of solely a new core.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about dedicated resource for probing internal signals? 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be great for DAC's to have references, both hi and lo available as connections (like DAC8420).

Then could actually use two DAC's outputs sent to references of the third DAC, and get very fine steps, beyond typical 8bit DAC.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could PSOC4 be the upcoming PSOC with ARMCortex-M0 core?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is a PSoC today-episode (rather: three) dealing with ARM-architecture and performance with focus on M0. So it seems you're right to predict a PSoC generation with an ARM M0. The remaining big question is: What analog resources will the chip come with? Will there be something like the SC-Blocks as in the PSoC1s?  PGAs with a gain < 1?? Analog Filters???

And when will it come?

It's an exciting world with PSoCs

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

http://www.psocdeveloper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8642

Another thread where actual part numbers for PSOC 4 can be seen in programer

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I've upgraded to PSOCProgrammer 3.15 and it includes several CY8C41xxx devices.

I just hope they are way cheaper than PSOC5 Devices

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all 

Not news about this interesting thread ? (new cortex 4 chip with more analog resources ?)

Thanks info Kamil

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Be patient! PSoC 4 WILL come and I'm sure Cypress is going to surprise all of us! I lately visited Cypress and there are different rumors going around, so nothing exact to tell right now. Even no concrete roadmap there was told, so we really have to wait a bit (or byte or kByte).

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks info Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

too bad its going to be in the same hard-to-use packages 😞 .. NXP has their ARM Cortex M0 line in DIP!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, being a cortex-M0 I would have expected a low pin count package.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

what all of we expect in PSoC4?

good core ?

analog and digital funactionalities?

please post

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Well, we're talking about PSoCs, so there WILL be digital, there WILL be analog and of couse ther WILL be a core-processor. Because it will be numbered PSoC4 I would presume the core to be better than PSoC3 (and PSoC1 as well) but not as mighty as the PSoC5's core, the Cortex M3. Since there have been some videos from Cypress concerning Arm M0 where it was compared directly to a 8051 processor core I would call that more than just a hint.

The residing questions remaining are:

Packages
ADC's usable width
SAR's ?
Price
Toolchain

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In PSOC Programmer there are devices with part numbers including AX, LT and PV. Therefore I think there will be TQFP, QFN and SSOP packages

0 Likes
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

I really hope that some of these devices will be in low pin count packages. In all of robotic applications, we are desperately space constrained. I would love some smaller PSoCs to fit into the tiny spaces.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I was tinkering with cy_boot 3.0,(to integrate my SD card based bootloader in) and theres a folder for the cy_boot API for the elusive PSoC4.

Looking through the code files,its an M0 core. Ah well.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

As I have heard as well, it will be an M0 core.

as AC/DC said: LET THERE BE ROCK!!!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

M0 seems to be use less silicon in the series, Not sure what would be the cost difference between this and the 8051 based PSOC3.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Prices... (sigh) Prices are a political decision weighting what something is worth against what we are willing to pay for...

My hopes are: since the M0 is "cleaner" in its structure and is using a lot less gates (silicon) than an M3 its price could be below a PSoC3. When equipped with the same amount of biulding blocks (components) as the PSoC3 I perfectly kinow what my favourite would be!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see PSOC3 has external ROM interface so can use bank switching if need more Code space, but if PSOC4 is about the same price ( or a little bit higher) with this feature, then it would be good. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since it is suposed to be posible to upgrade a project from a PSOC4 to a PSOC5 I would bet it will sport the same Analog and digital resources.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I was fortunate to be involved with many semiconductor price decisions, as a production engineer,

and they are both incredibly complex at times and equally simple at others. There were products

dominated by die costs, and ones that the die costs were virtually irrelevant.

At their root            costs = materials + die + package cost + yield + test + ship

Then the basics are affected by market decisions, perceived value, real value, wind speed, wine consumption,

customer specifics, egotisim, competitive issues vendor to vendor..........pretty much a description of chaos.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more thing I would like to have is able to program the DBF ourselves. Would like to be able to do that with newer Creator.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Any news about PSOC 4 ?

Thanks info Kamil 

0 Likes
JamesD_81
Employee
Employee
First like received Welcome!

Speculation is over:

SAN JOSE, Calif., March 20, 2013 – Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NASDAQ: CY) today unveiled the PSoC® 4 programmable system-on-chip architecture, which combines Cypress’s best-in-class PSoC analog and digital fabric and industry-leading CapSense® capacitive touch technology with ARM®’s power-efficient Cortex™-M0 core.

Read more at www.cypress.com/go/PSoC4

Thanks!

Jim

0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Yup, PSoC 4 is here - http://www.cypress.com/go/PSoC4

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay, finally PSOC4.

Now whats left to know is pricing information.

0 Likes
JohnW_86
Employee
Employee

Pricing information coming soon...  Devkits will be different as well...  We'll post to this thread as soon as we can share more with you...  Stay tuned.

-JWW

0 Likes