Is PSoC 4 coming?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recenttly had alook at one of the header file and it had a seperate code for PSoC4!!!

Can any one say as to what are the features of this new product?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Yes, a PSoC4 will come. Cypress keeps a bit qiuet about its features, but I suspect that the core will be an ARM M0 to keep it cheap. There are some videos which compare the 8051 core to ARM M0 and not to Cortex M3, I suspect a reason behind that. Which analog and digital hardware modules are to come? Let me guess: the concept and the structure of USBs is successful, so "never change a winning team".

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Not USB!!! UDB of course!

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

... and one more: here is a link to a nearly one-year old thread discussing the very same theme. Now we can imagine that it will take at least anothere year until there are engeneering samples of a PSoC4 (Smile)

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&rID=57268

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been especulating about  PSOC4 for about a year already. A PSOC today video hinted that we were going to get a Cortex-m0 PSOC so we asumed it would be the legendary PSOC4. Still, there are no official news about it tho.

0 Likes
JamesD_81
Employee
Employee
First like received Welcome!

Speculation is over:

SAN JOSE, Calif., March 20, 2013 – Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NASDAQ: CY) today unveiled the PSoC® 4 programmable system-on-chip architecture, which combines Cypress’s best-in-class PSoC analog and digital fabric and industry-leading CapSense® capacitive touch technology with ARM®’s power-efficient Cortex™-M0 core.

Read more at www.cypress.com/go/PSoC4

thanks!

Jim

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just read the news on www.embedded.com

it is a Cortex-M0. and it comes with low power consumtion.

0 Likes
rotec_264361
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for letting the community know that PSoC 4 will be real. When I looked at the website you mentioned, there was an obvious lack of data.

Here is what I found (and like)

12-bit ADC

Op-Amps, Comparators, IDACs, precision voltage reference.

--------

"Innovative" wording

" stop mode consuming only 20 nA while still retaining its ability to wake up, complemented by an extremely low-power retention sleep mode that draws only 150 nA without disturbing SRAM data"

? without disturbing SRAM data ? Guess it means while fully retaining SRAM content

---------

From the     architecture brief.

"Most Reconfigurable ARM Cortex-M0" Oops - Does Cypress own an architecture license to reconfigure the core?

After waiting a few days whether there is going to be more data to digest, I am somewhat disappointed what is (not) communicated about PSoC 4

Missing:

- packages?

- is the PSoC 4 an upgrade to PSoC 3? - The CPU indicates yes 8-bit -> 32-bit, The ADC indicates otherwise 20-bit -> 12-bit?

- memory? 32k/8k ? 64k/8k? 128K/12k like other M0 devices on the market?

- Max frequency? PSoC is not about high frequency, acknowledge that, it is still very interesting what algorithms can be used within the computing performance of the PSoC 4

- current consumption in low power modes are important, however, sometimes the device needs to be activated - consumption in active mode?

- is there a switch for Creator 2.2 to fully activate PSoC 4? - or are we waiting for Creator 2.3 (3.0)?

- the video included a USB-FS block (39sec and 1:15min), the architecture brief does not - what is it?

It is unusual for Cypress to announce a new device with so little information accompanying the press release. Rumors about PSoC 4 have been lingering in this forum for more than a year, there must be something like a prel. data sheet!

Please post it!

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The reduced ADC resolution you mentioned comes from the fact that the PSoC4 comes with a SAR ADC, which runs at 1MSpS (like the PSoC5LP). There is just no DelSig-ADC like the PSoC3 has. But as we learned in another thread here, one could build one with theavailable components and the UDB. Or you just use oversampling...

0 Likes