CY8CKIT-050 PSOC5 LP development kit static electricity problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I have finally recevied my PSOC5 kit yesterday only to notice the warnings about the electrostatic senstivity.... now there is a problem because where I live we don't have antistatic wristwrap or mats.

I was told to simply bring a large piece of iron and touch it every now and then to dissipate the static electricity, is this true? are there any other ways??

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

All non-housed electronic parts are vulnerable to static electric discharge, thus to remind you of that fact the sticker is for.

A conductive mat will not be too good when your Kit is powered up and a wristwrap will only put you to a defined ground level, but not your board.

Now for the better part: The humidity in the air will level voltages, so electric shock is mostly observed in winter when the air is cold and unable to hold much humidity. Carpets made of chemical fiber and the plastic soles of your shoed can work as efficient as a van der Graaf generator.

So how get rid of?

Ground yourself at least once before touching the Kit-board using a water-pipe or a radiator. Ground your Kit ba connecting it to power supply and/or USB. Now it will be sufficient to touch the (non-plastic) PC housing to get you to the same level as your board.

I wish you happy designs with your PSoC kit!

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might be of assistance -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable