USB MIDI

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all,

I'm very sad to say that I feel like Tom Hanks in Cast Away trying to make the usb component work. I have been trying for days and the only results that are comming out are red circles with white X inside them, errors.

The one I'm stuck with is " L127: UNRESOLVED EXTERNAL SYMBOL SYMBOL: USB_MIDI1_InqFlags " main.obj (MAIN) line 0, after building the project and this is what show in the .map file  " USB_MIDI1_InqFlags . . . . . . . . . . . . ---      ** UNRESOLVED **  MAIN "  .

I don't have a clue from where this error is originating. I tried to follow / understand the USB-MIDI example project but most of the code is new to me and I couldn't find any info, unforutnaly. Not even Google couldn't explain it. All I'm trying to do is interface the 001 kit to a music program via midi. So its only the USB component with midi settings and a couple of switches. I can't understand why it's this complicated. Please I'm really in need of some help and experience from you guys. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
12 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Best to post a bundle of the project so forum can look at.

In Creator, "File", "Create Workspace Bundle", and post it.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The commented sections are parts which I guess I don't need. These are mainly the UART sections. Basically it's the code in the example project which I tried to modify for my use. Don't hesitate to comment cause I'm still green in coding. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

You define the following to be external, but I see no definitions

made in rest of workspace.

extern volatile uint8 USB_MIDI1_InqFlags;
extern volatile uint8 USB_MIDI2_InqFlags;

So drop the extern part of the declaration, it compiles for me in 2.2 service pack 5

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Find attached a Cypress example for MIDI

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        However I'm not sure about MIDI things but checked up your zip. When I put a new USB-MIDI module, UART-MIDI was automatically added with it. And Build it then successed. Would you have to remain UART-MIDI module even if you don't need it. OK?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys I don't know what to do without you. I have deleted the extern and it worked just fine. What I did is I added a USBFS component and configured the MIDI part instead of adding a ready made USB-MIDI (with UART), just to save resources. I will continue to work on it today and will keep you posted.

One last thing. Can some one please explain what the exten meant in this code?

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        "extern" mean there is the entity somewhere within the project. For example in this case, USB_MIDI1_InqFlags is there in usb_midi.c OK?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok I get it. Can some one please explain these instructions cause I'm still hovering in space:

USB_EP_MM

USB__EP_DMAAUTO

USB_MIDI1_InqFlags

USB_INQ_IDENTITY_REQ_FLAG

Please bear my ignorance but I couldn't find any meaning on the web.

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        These symbols are for particular of PSoC USB and MIDI. Can't be find in Web. When you read the source code around these, you might be realize these meanings. Cheer!   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

External variables, and difference between declaring and defining variables -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_variable

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot every one. Your help is priceless. I'm still hoovering in space but little by little I'm getting closer to earth with your help.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Anyway, Usually we shouldn't know meaning of internal variables, we have to know usage of API method of user modules. When you do it and stack on it, come here and would be ask to someone, That's good, Thank you.   
0 Likes