PSoC 3-5 Component Design Contest

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry people, there was a small issue with the previous two posts and i couldn't include the projects individually.

I am attaching a word document carrying the verilog code of all the 4 deisgns, appropriately numbered.

Please do go through the appropriate code and vote for the best design.

Regards,

Rahul Ram

0 Likes
14 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Well, despite the fact that I'd like to vote for my code (of course) (BIG SMILEY) there is something that I think I did NOT misunderstand and as such is reflected in my code:

The exercise-text said: Load should occur following the clock after the rising EDGE of the Load-signal. This implies (at least for me) that the load signal is asynchronous @ posedge and the Load-signal may(!!) return to zero before the clock's rising edge which will perform the load.

I found out, that a project using that component "burnt" a lot of macrocells, could that be done better for instance with a datapath solution?

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I specifically asked this question in the forum, and it got clarified (load should be evaluated on each rising clock edge).

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I know, I've red your posts, but I'm too obstinate to accept a weakening of the specs when the original exercise could be solved (broad grin!)

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

And actually I think that you code also might not work in the case you mention: whe load and clock go high in the same instant you get a race condition(and when I tried a similar solution, Creator warned me also about that, or even refused to compile the design).

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

And if you really follow the original spec: load should happens only once, even if the load signal stays high for multiple clock periods. In your code, loading the values, and re-setting the load_flag happens at the same time, which might or might not work... (all these thing were the reasons for me to ask - really following the spec would need an interesting state machine, with 3 different input signals, all asynchronous to each other)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, that was my solution, Load, Clock and !Reset are all async in my design and it DID compile.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Since this was several months ago:

• will there be future contests?
  •     
  • has a winner been selected for this one?
  •    

Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

No winner, no points, no thanks, no criticim, no further attempt, a couple of "NOs". I was a bit dissapointed 'cause I thought that the idea was pretty good, but as we all could see the carrying through could have been a lot better.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, this is only one of many instances of marketing campaigns which have silently stopped 😞

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably there was not the response expected. I didn't take part ecause it was close to the holidays. Although I doubt I would have had any chance against you guys xD

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Drawing conclusions from a sample size of 1 is never a good idea. Yes, there were the usual suspects answering. But as you said, there were holidays around. I I also saw this as a good way to introduce more people to the internals of PSoC by providing interesting examples.

But even when the contests were to be stopped so soon, there should be at least one winner announced...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are extremely sorry for abruptly not getting back with the contest.

There is a whole lot of redesign happening on the cypress forums and also on the way the contest has to be conducted. We promise you that we will surely come back with a much better contest involving much better learning and fun. Please be patient with us.

I will make sure that the Winner gets the points in his account in another week.

I don't want to announce the winner on just a forum post.For that would go unnoticed after a week.Please bear with our redesign. The winner will appropriately be acclaimed.

Regards,

RahulRam

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Will the "forum redesign" also involve updating the forum software to something usable? That alone would be enough compensation for the wait 🙂

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Can you link from the announcement to the forum thread cointaining all the solution? Right now I cannot really find it anywhere (I just need to go via my own posts...)

Thanks,

hli

0 Likes