tutorials for psoc4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins
        Does all of the introductory tutorials for psoc devices apply for psoc4? I am new to this but not sure where to begin, and would like to minimize the learning curve... Thanks for your advice.   
0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

Unfortunately: No, not all example projects run on every PSoC family. The PSoC4 chip has different internal resources than the PSoC3/5 and so there are examples for

PSoC1

PSoC4

and PSoC3 and 5 which have got similar internal hardware despite of the CPU (8051 vers. ARM Cortex M3)

To start with PSoC the cheapest would be to use a PSoC4 Pioneer Kit but in my opinion for the target of learning I would recommend the PSoC 5 -050 Kit which comes equipped with a 2-lined display making the look inside the PSoC somewhat easier than just to blink some LEDs.

When it comes to build spin-off projects you will always look for the smallest chip the project fits into which may be a PSoC4.

The PSoC1 chip is very versatile, but lacks the easy-to-use debug capability all other PSoCs have got, making the initial equipment to get some more expensive.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

Unfortunately: No, not all example projects run on every PSoC family. The PSoC4 chip has different internal resources than the PSoC3/5 and so there are examples for

PSoC1

PSoC4

and PSoC3 and 5 which have got similar internal hardware despite of the CPU (8051 vers. ARM Cortex M3)

To start with PSoC the cheapest would be to use a PSoC4 Pioneer Kit but in my opinion for the target of learning I would recommend the PSoC 5 -050 Kit which comes equipped with a 2-lined display making the look inside the PSoC somewhat easier than just to blink some LEDs.

When it comes to build spin-off projects you will always look for the smallest chip the project fits into which may be a PSoC4.

The PSoC1 chip is very versatile, but lacks the easy-to-use debug capability all other PSoCs have got, making the initial equipment to get some more expensive.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Cost     PSOC 5 > PSOC 3 > PSOC 1 > PSOC 4  Approximate

Some subtle differences as well, PSOC 4 only family with full 32 x 32 multiplier,

and UDB count < 4 although many common PWM, Counter, Timer facilties now

fixed hardware, so comparing UDB to UDB count a little misleading.

PSOC 1 tool, Designer, although a good tool simply not as flexible and productive

as PSOC 3, 4, 5 tool Creator.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I guess price of PSoC4 should be between PSoC3 and PSoC1.   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Don't guess, look at prices on Cypress website -

PSOC 1         $ .99   to $ 11

PSOC 3         $ 3.04 to $ 20.31

PSOC 4         $ 1.41 to $ 1.92

PSOC 5LP     $ 5.01 to $ 10.90

These are relative for prices shown on website, no volume stated, and are stated as budgetary.

Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, a lot of PSOC3 and PSOC5 tutorials work well for PSOC4. You just have to keep in mind the functionality not present / limited in PSOC4.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

From within Creator select "Example Projexts" in Start-Page. when you now change the family to PSoC4 you'll get a brief list of all examples for this device.

Bob

0 Likes
Jweaver
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

thanks Bob,  that's what I was looking for

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10